I've only just discovered how to use Microsoft Word properly

As in using styles and setting the spacing after paragraphs and not just pressing enter to make space, etc. How many people use it wrong? Must be like 98% of people that use it.

“How many people use it wrong? Must be like 98% of people that use it.”

#needlessly defensive

rock n roll

only worth fucking about with if you’re making a document of a decent length

2 Likes

please, elaborate

You’re not meant to just press enter to make space or whatever. You’re meant to apply ‘after’ spacing to the paragraph. Turn on that paragraph symbol thing. That symbol determines the end of a paragraph. Give it a style (those things where it says ‘Normal’ and ‘Heading 1’ ‘Heading 2’ etc.) You can right-click on the style and click modify and then click Format bottom-left and then Paragraph and then alter how much space it puts after the paragraph. You can create your own styles as well. Just makes everything consistent across the document and you don’t have stupid blank lines that the cursor reacts to.

Formatting Styles are there for people who don’t know how to use Word properly.

If you’re using a paragraph style with anything specified for leading or trailing space other than 0, you’re a cunt. If you’re using a first-line indent paragraph style, you’re an utter, utter cunt. If you don’t use either an extra carriage return, or a tab character at the start of the first line of the next paragraph, you’re a fucking prick of a human being (if indeed that). If you do both of these things (extra line space AND first line indent) YOU SHOULDN’T BE ALLOWED NEAR A WORD-PROCESSING APPLICATION.

If you’re using predefined Heading styles instead of applying text formatting and adjusting point size, you’re a cunt, an absolutely abominable cunt. STOP WRITING AND GO BACK TO PHOTOSHOP.

…to put it as politely as I’m able.

1 Like

I use headings to create hierarchical tables of contents for large documents that are 200 pages plus. Why shouldn’t I use them for that?

1 Like

I’ll admit: I’m possibly overreaching with that one.

I personally don’t see the advantage of using a Heading style over formatting using basic font styles. And, as someone who often has to work with copy destined for publication (desktop, commercial print, online), I routinely find that multiplication of styles is more likely to lead to inconsistencies and all round fuck ups than sticking to basic font styles.

Strong posting. Clearly completely wrong, but strong posting anyway.

2 Likes

STOP WRITING AND GO BACK TO PHOTOSHOP!

Based on your previous post, I assume you used the shift key for each individual letter, rather than using caps lock.

1 Like

No, I typed it all in lowercase, went back and highlighted it, opened Format > Font and checked All caps

2 Likes

THE FUCK U ON ABOUT HERE LAD?

It’s no LaTeX, though.

Only worth bothering with on a large document

I’m just pleased if someone knows you can centre text without pressing space bar loads of times and they don’t press enter when they get near the end of each line

1 Like

How about those thick cunts that still put two spaces after a full stop, eh? Actual scum.

3 Likes

That escalated quickly.

I dunno, styles should be great but often they’re badly implemented or else Word does some really peculiar shit in the background and completely fucks your document over when you make a small tweak.

Web wanker perspective:

Headings have semantic value. If you paste text from Word into a CMS/HTML editor, the headings become, say < h2 >, which means ‘first sub-section’ rather than just ‘big’.

It means your CSS can then give it the right style, and all your < h2 > and so on will be consistent. Doing formatting in Word is usually easier than in most CMSs, and decent CMSs will have a Paste from Word function, which strips out style code but leaves in formatting. If you spend ages manually making your heading text bigger and bold etc without actually making it a heading, all of this will be stripped out.

Also, if you use actual headings, search engines can identify what the heading-y bits of the page are, and weight search results accordingly. Proper page structure is SEO for non-twats.

Most Word documents don’t become web pages, but a lot of web content starts life in Word. Most users are more comfortable doing formatting work in Word, so that’s where headings and so on should be applied.

1 Like

4 Likes