๐ŸŽธ ๐ŸŽน ๐ŸŽถ ๐ŸŽค ๐Ÿ”Š JAMuary 2023 ๐Ÿ”Š ๐ŸŽธ ๐ŸŽน ๐ŸŽถ ๐ŸŽค

JAMuary 2023 is here!

Welcome one and all, both old hands & new

The idea is simple - a jam a day for every day in January is the platonic ideal but as many days as you can manage is just fine. Itโ€™s also fine to have some back up content for any days you might miss

the general point though is to get into the habit of sustained practice

This thread is for sharing jams, tips, feedback etc on everything you wish - whether that be composition related, gear related, media/social media choices & so on. Even if youโ€™re not participating in any jams yourself - bring the cheers/heckles

Iโ€™ll primarily be videoing myself arsing about and using YouTube as the main platform. Might do some shorts/reels โ€ฆmaybe even TikTok. Weโ€™ll see - any feedback on all that is obviously most welcome

Participants last year were
myself, @manches, @AttackDuck, @wasted, @epimer, @colossalhorse, @chris-budget, @ruffers, @faulmccartney, @rupturerapture, @ToddCrisp, @maps

for ref here is last yearโ€™s thread

Hopefully some new participants this year too? @HolyCannoli, @gert, @grievoustim @sunnyB @the_ravens ???

Jam on it people - post your JAMS โ€ฆ

stares at @manches

:loud_sound:

6 Likes

Gone for a pub lunch but got one ready to mix when I get home

Behold the flash studio set up

12 Likes

Oh my word! Itโ€™s now, innit!

2 Likes

Oh โ€ฆI almost forgot

I have these Eno โ€˜Oblique Strategiesโ€™ cards. Should I pull a random card per day as a prompt? (you can always ignore the prompt if you like)

• Do it

0 voters

Unlikely to manage one per day, but I have a couple of new projects Iโ€™m trying to get off the ground and need to get jamming ideas out for both. When I get the chance Iโ€™ll upload the little bits Iโ€™ve already done.

Whatโ€™s everybody elseโ€™s? Output like for this? I tend to see the output of this sort of thing as a pre-demo - like an 8-16 bar piece of something that feels like it could blossom into a whole piece of given proper attention.

Of course once a year or so, lightening strikes and a whole piece just falls together in one sitting. Less frequently actually, think Iโ€™ve had 4-5 of those ever.

3 Likes

This sounds great but what do you actually have to do? Write and record a piece of music?

1 Like

yup - any style, any format (soundcloud, vocaroo, IG etc - your choice) can be (and in most cases will be) just a sketch or idea

yeah, like this

the journey, not the destination & all that

1 Like

I very much treat it like sketches and then if any ideas emerge around them, Iโ€™ll plunk in what I can. Last year, one of mine was just a random beat made out of a recording of me cooking dinner an hour earlier

My goal last year and this year is to have one of those super chaotic early Beck albums full of lofi song fragments and crazy noisy bits and collages

7 Likes

JAM #1 Oblique Prompt

1 Like

Definitely short โ€˜ideasโ€™ that may or may not become something else. 30 minute write/record limit for me this year; have other music that needs actually finishing!

1 Like

Might actually try and do this a bit as I want to get back into making things proper this year

Actually have something to show for the hours or kissing about!

:+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

My NY resolution is to get back into the routine of doing a bit of music each day, so count me in!

3 Likes

Hey there, Iโ€™ll start the ball rolling with some pre-New Year miserablism! Iโ€™m kind of hoping to use this month as a way to write up out of the place where Iโ€™m stuck at the moment, and the prompts will be really helpful in that; Iโ€™ve got a bit โ€˜write what you knowโ€™, and that means Iโ€™m mostly just writing sad stuff. I want to write happier things! New Year always makes me maudlin anyway, so apologies for that.

This one actually sort of obliquely (hah) fits todayโ€™s prompt, as I gave my self discipline (first draft lyrics, first draft chord sequence, less than half an hour to put it together) and then was self-indulgent in writing a lyric in the voice of my internal monologue. Bonza! Itโ€™s just a very sketchy guitar and vocal recorded on my phone, because itโ€™s the practice of getting things that work quickly that I can then work with later that Iโ€™m really hoping to improve.

Lyrics (might be helpful because Iโ€™m singing this quietly and so itโ€™s not exactly easy to follow)

Summary

Everything hurts sometimes
Pretty much everyone lets you down
The dog will most definitely
Unhesitatingly
Chew off the toe of your sock
Try not to be
Shocked at the state of things
Try not to be sad when the door bell rings
And half of the food that you ordered is missing
Donโ€™t lose your composure
And cry in the kitchen
Drip tears on the baby leaf spinach
And fillets of chicken
Donโ€™t be such a mess

Everywhereโ€™s uphill
Pretty much everything takes too long
The chain will invariably
Without a care for you
Snap and whip you in the calf
Try not to be
Ground into dust each day
Try not to let pain splash across your face
Like some kind of Rorschach test, cheeks like a butterfly
Or two guys screaming
Distress in a mirror
At least theyโ€™ve got some kind of passion
Some kind of conviction
Donโ€™t be such a mess

Everythingโ€™s kind of sad
Pretty much everythingโ€™s shot with blue
You canโ€™t freeze-frame a sunrise
Or bottle the moment
You hear from a long-lost friend
Try not to be
Stuck in the cracks between
Try not to be carrying all that weight
Youโ€™re not training for anything
Take all those rocks out your bag
Make a stack in the garden
Theyโ€™ll be there when you get back
Just be free for a while
Iโ€™ll see you when you get back.

Any feedback etc welcome, I promise I will buck up and not just be this generations less talented non-bigoted Morrissey for the whole month.

13 Likes

Heard some Elliott Smith and maybe Eels in there, liked it

4 Likes

Here we go

Full version

โ€™Shortsโ€™ version

Just a simple piano vignette really. Disciplined Self Indulgence? Probably

12 Likes

This is great โ€ฆvery Eels as @hesastopsiiiiign says

Impressive to have a full lyric in Jam#1 & Iโ€™m a sucker for the major-to-minor change

Top marks

3 Likes

Iโ€™m starting as positively as possible by taking the bank holiday off. Start as you mean to go on and all that.

Iโ€™ve got my little studio set up to go tomorrow though and Iโ€™ve put together a little palette of sounds to use and a list of tried and tested techniques. Iโ€™'m aiming to put together a kind of ambient cookbook; recipes to use as starting points whenever inspiration is refusing to strike. Mostly just going to bung things on soundcloud but Iโ€™ve got a webcam set up and a bunch of visual loops to use as filters - Iโ€™ll probably chuck a few videos up, maybe do a live jam or two.

5 Likes

First Jam. It is what it is; no excuses in 2023!

14 Likes

This is fabulous. Very sad too. Fabulously sad.

@BodyInTheThames thatโ€™s lovely! Disco ball moodiness!

3 Likes

What even happened last night :thinking: