Janelle Monae

I’ve been walking around in the sun all day listening to it, totally brilliant.

3-stars.

it has some moments, but it doesn’t really have enough meat for me, nor any outstandingly catchy tunes (Make Me Feel and Screwed are okay); I don’t think anything even as ear-wormy as “Yoga” let along anything like “Many Moons” for example.

And I don’t foresee spending nearly $400 for myself and the wife to see her live in July.

Never fully got into Janelle before but I really like this, great timing for summer. The sequencing is a bit weird, feels like it doesn’t properly hit its stride until track 4 or 5, but from Django Jane onwards it’s pretty much all bangers. Pynk and I Like That are probably my early favourites.

Still really loving this album. Only slightly disappointed because the singles are obviously the best songs. I don’t know why artists feel the need to release so many before the album these days, much better to hold a few bangers back to suprise people with the album.

Yeah Crazy Classic Life and Take a Byte are the two weak ones for me. Choruses feel a bit forced or too simple or something. Kind of growing on me though.