Janelle Monae

I’ve been walking around in the sun all day listening to it, totally brilliant.

3-stars.

it has some moments, but it doesn’t really have enough meat for me, nor any outstandingly catchy tunes (Make Me Feel and Screwed are okay); I don’t think anything even as ear-wormy as “Yoga” let along anything like “Many Moons” for example.

And I don’t foresee spending nearly $400 for myself and the wife to see her live in July.

Never fully got into Janelle before but I really like this, great timing for summer. The sequencing is a bit weird, feels like it doesn’t properly hit its stride until track 4 or 5, but from Django Jane onwards it’s pretty much all bangers. Pynk and I Like That are probably my early favourites.

Still really loving this album. Only slightly disappointed because the singles are obviously the best songs. I don’t know why artists feel the need to release so many before the album these days, much better to hold a few bangers back to suprise people with the album.

Yeah Crazy Classic Life and Take a Byte are the two weak ones for me. Choruses feel a bit forced or too simple or something. Kind of growing on me though.

Roundhouse, Sept 11 - on sale Friday.

And Manchester Academy on September 10th

I moved to a new city about a week before this album came out, and had 3 weeks off during that glorious heatwave to wander round listening to it. Absolutely perfect.

Just seen she’s playing at the 1500-cap former church directly opposite my new flat. What a lovely, lovely time that’s going to be

Christ.

These are going to go in seconds aren’t they. Hope there’s another one in the pipeline for the next day.

Bah… 200 miles away, on a school night, the day after I come back from Barcelona. Think I may have to accept I’ll never see her live. :frowning_face:

London pre-sale https://www.metropolismusic.com/shows/1159052/

Nice one. Thanks

Thanking you!

got a ticket for the manc date in the presale last night :heart_eyes: little venue walking distance from my house, yes pls

Cheers for the heads up, was pretty certain I’d have no luck on the general sale tomorrow!

Bought too. Nice.

Not complaining, but Roundhouse seems a little small for her now - perhaps they’ll add a second date.

Just announced:

Personally getting a bit sick of these second dates which are completely scheduled but announced after the fact.

yeah. sell out the less eligible day then whack a better offer up.