January 2019 Film DiScussion Thread

I went to an advance screening of Green Book last night. It may have been a road trip/buddy movie, replete with schmaltzy happy ending - but at it’s core it explores issues of segregation and deep seated racism in the southern states, and it does so very well indeed.

Marhershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen were both excellent.

jfc this looks bad.

EDIT: where even is orlando bloom in this?!

1 Like

New Chris Morris premiering at SXSW:

https://twitter.com/Film4Insider/status/1085802809621078017

8 Likes

Weird to see such a shameless lift of this incredible scene from The Villainess

1 Like

fully expecting to be disappointed by this cos of how high my expectations are

It should go in the 100 films thread cos I’m never allowing it to die.

1 Like

Finally watched Paddington 2 today. I know it gets said a lot, but it truly is such a great series of films and I can’t wait for the third.

13 Likes

thought this was a reply to John Wick, because it’s exactly how I feel about that

4 Likes

Island of the hungry ghosts is really incredibly good and everyone should watch it

first one was great second one was shite

this looks pretty ropey but will still watch it

1 Like

ffs japes

1 Like

i’ll watch any old shite

Its on Mubi atm

FFS they postponed the Where’d You Go Bernadette film again, it must be really bad to keep getting pushed back, I really like the book as well :frowning:

Colette - Wasn’t familiar with this story and was quite fascinating - Kiera is very Kiera but Dominic West plays a blinder, just a shame Denise Gough was so underused as her character was the most interesting.

Stan & Ollie Quite taken by this, quietly melancholy and perhaps more a TV film but John C Riley completely nails it. The epilogue made me :disappointed_relieved:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Took a while for me to settle into it as the cinema a) started it early and b) kept all the lights on so I had to find a member of staff but it’s visually just great to watch and most of the time I wasn’t arsed about what was going on story-wise.

Non-cinema stuff: Prince of Darkness (Great fun), Waco: madman or messiah (Amazing and brutal, still on the iPlayer), Keanu (er…), 9 to 5 (surprisingly mental).

25 so far in 2019, please hurry up January payday.

2 Likes

went to a screening of Walkabout, really great.
coincidentally 2nd film in a row after ballad of narayama that had loads of cutaways to animals and that

1 Like

Good lord, how bad is A History of Violence?

1 Like

Not very?

5 Likes

Yeah but even so the second one set up an actual batshit sequel with everyone in the world being out to kill Bill and Ted

Finally! Someone who agrees with me!

Yeah, it’s shit. Awful film.

2 Likes