January 2019 politics thread

This chap has, for some reason, dedicated an awful lot of time into digging in to Aaron Bastani’s PhD then

https://twitter.com/JeremyDuns/status/1080896664972464129

Not sure what the tangible conclusion of this is other than Jeremy being smug and that maybe that Dr. Bastani’s intellectual cred isn’t what he makes it out to be. Oh no! The latter is obvious from 10 minutes of listening to him anyway, but well done Jeremy. Well done.

It must be nice to have that much time on your hands. On my mental list of reasons why I don’t listen to Aaron Bastani this isn’t going to scrape the top 10.

Exactly! Also if his PhD is to be discredited the fault lies with the institution who graded it above all else. Of all of the things to investigate, Jesus.

1 Like

15 Likes

also the fact that bastani is somewhat iranian and a corbyn supporter so he is suspect immediately in these peoples’ eyes, because in their baby brains israel and palestine and iran and being on the labour left and antisemitism are all mushed together with no real nuance or understanding.

(i’m not particularly fussed about bastani’s work, but his recent treatment has obvious motivations underlying it. also i didn’t know rachel from countdown was an absolute roaster until this all kicked off and it made me sad to discover that)

didn’t help himself with the rothschild shit, like

Think the fact that he’s very vocal and making a name for himself trumps all those tbh (although perhaps there are elements of racially charged undercurrents motivating it, I don’t know).

“Rothschild shit” = out and out antisemitism. Why not call it what it is?

1 Like

well yeah rothschild shit = antisemitism, i didn’t think i needed to specify that. i mean he’s fair game if he’s been antisemitic like, but tbf i’ve seen 2 tweets (screencapped) from like 6 years ago. i assume he’s grown since then. he still hasn’t apologised properly, i noticed.

edit: not dying on this hill so i’m happy to agree he’s a roaster too.

I think he’s moved all over the place politically in the last 6 years so fuck knows. Think in terms of antisemitism watch over the Christmas period Chris Williamson won the top prize there. Anyone still willing to defend him, I wonder.

1 Like

Jeremy Duns is a complete weirdo stalker, who makes some basic errors every time he does this kind of thing. Bastani posted up his PhD stuff last night, and it all holds up.

Presumably so - he was a LibDem supporter back then.

Yeah, she’s not covered herself in glory defending Alan Sugar’s homophobia, racism and threats to leave the country because of tax reasons, has she?

1 Like

You actually read it??

What the hell? I missed this. Not Rachel, please.

1 Like

Not the whole PhD, no.

(Or did you mean the Jeremy Duns thing?)

The whole PhD. I assumed you saying that it ‘all held up’ meant that you’d actually sat there and read it.

it’s all true :disappointed:

well i say he’s a roaster but then he highlights something important like this

we should probably talk about our awful treatment of immigrants more in this month’s thread imo

1 Like

Oh, no, I meant in terms of it being an actual PhD, awarded by a proper university, with a robust methodology, which is what Duns was whining about.

(I did start reading it and it seemed pretty interesting, tbh)