January 2021 Film discussion thread (old and new film chat welcome)

One Night in Miami - good and Kingsley Ben-Adir is great as Malcolm X but like Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom it definitely feels like it works better as the stage play it started out as

Dear Comrades is on Curzon Home Cinema from today

1 Like

Watched The Texas Chain Saw (2 words) Massacre for the first time - I stumbled across it while scrolling through Shudder, and thought “aye, that’s a Friday night film”. Thought it stood up loads better than other classic slashers of the 70s and 80s. Genuinely weird and unsettling, and not as gory as I’d imagined.

4 Likes

Was lucky enough to catch a cinema screening a few years ago, first time I’d seen it in a while. A lot of the acting is very very bad but would agree with this. It’s hella cheap and grotty and it totally works for it.

1 Like

Yeah holds up so well. Saw it on Channel 4 super late night in my early teens and like you say ‘unsettling’ is an understatement.

1 Like

Loved this (see December thread).

I know!

1 Like

Soz man (or woman). I’m pathetic.

Um. No need to apologise - I was just pointing out that it was your recommendation that made me put it on my list.

Thanks!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it too.

Whar makes TCM so great is its like of gore, it’s all the suggestion of it . Makes it scarier I think that you don’t see loads

1 Like

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/films-that-look-shit-but-are-actually-really-good/54372/149?u=badmanreturns

watched Regeneration last night (4/5) and am absolutely pumped for Day Of Reckoning now.

also pumped for whatever this bollocks is

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 17.23.29

all films should be about GM soldiers imo

4 Likes

That moment when Leatherface slams the big door shut, amazing👻

2 Likes

If you haven’t seen Upgrade, it’s on Netflix and is excellent

1 Like

I think the sound design is the thing that’s lasted longest with me, some of those metallic sounds still get me.

TCM2 is great too if you can separate it from the first and let it be it’s own thing

2 Likes

it’s really good

one of the few horror films I can think of that is shot in blazing sunlight, I think that just adds to the eeriness

1 Like

yeah I’ve heard that#s absolutely bonkers

I’ve only else seen the one with Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughy in, think it’s the 4th?

Quite fancy a long film this evening, not seen either before.

• Barry Lyndon
  • Metropolis

0 voters

Originally put Barry Lyndon, but I saw it at the BFI a couple of years ago (they always seem to put it on) and it was an “experience”, and I loved it. I don’t think I’d ever want to really see it out of that setting tbh

can you watch Rocco and His Brothers for me and let me know if it’s worth it