January 2021 Film discussion thread (old and new film chat welcome)

I remember watching A Ghost Story thinking “This is going to be shit”.

Thought it was brilliant.

1 Like

Yeah really surprised is doesn’t have more of a U shaped score curve on Letterboxd with a sea of only 1 and 5 stars.

All About Nina is really good, very tough watch though.

Guys, Sucker Punch seems like a silly film

American Utopia is amazingly well realised. Takes a very special talent to make something so meticulously thought out seem effortless and warm. Highlighting the musicians made the songs so much more tangible as well. Lovely thing it is!

1 Like

last night i watched out of sight which i hadn’t seen in about 20 years, somehow it’s both enjoyable and a bit irritaing.
always good to see dennis farina and george clooney is very swoonsome.

Also Martial arts of Shaolin, an early jet li film. Decent enough and gives you a good taste of what’s to come from the brilliant Jet Li.

See You Yesterday: (Netflix) I enjoyed this a lot. It manages to combine that mid-80s Spielberg family fantasy feel with a hard-hitting plot-driver involving police brutality and racial identity. The final scene did fall between two stools though, of being both over-confident and under-confident.

Some good reggae and ska on the soundtrack too. And it’s only 90 minutes long.

Recommended.

1 Like

anyone seen this? we started it last night, thought the younger kid was cool as heck and bummed his brother was mean to him

1 Like

One Night in Miami - good and Kingsley Ben-Adir is great as Malcolm X but like Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom it definitely feels like it works better as the stage play it started out as

Dear Comrades is on Curzon Home Cinema from today

1 Like

Watched The Texas Chain Saw (2 words) Massacre for the first time - I stumbled across it while scrolling through Shudder, and thought “aye, that’s a Friday night film”. Thought it stood up loads better than other classic slashers of the 70s and 80s. Genuinely weird and unsettling, and not as gory as I’d imagined.

4 Likes

Was lucky enough to catch a cinema screening a few years ago, first time I’d seen it in a while. A lot of the acting is very very bad but would agree with this. It’s hella cheap and grotty and it totally works for it.

1 Like

Yeah holds up so well. Saw it on Channel 4 super late night in my early teens and like you say ‘unsettling’ is an understatement.

1 Like

Loved this (see December thread).

I know!

1 Like

Soz man (or woman). I’m pathetic.

Um. No need to apologise - I was just pointing out that it was your recommendation that made me put it on my list.

Thanks!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it too.

Whar makes TCM so great is its like of gore, it’s all the suggestion of it . Makes it scarier I think that you don’t see loads

1 Like

watched Regeneration last night (4/5) and am absolutely pumped for Day Of Reckoning now.

also pumped for whatever this bollocks is

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 17.23.29

all films should be about GM soldiers imo

4 Likes