January 2021 Film discussion thread (old and new film chat welcome)

Metropolis is good but it’s a film to admire rather than enjoy

I saw that at the BFI years ago, its good!

3 hours has put me off - going to watch it in two this weekend

Seen it twice! Hence why I need more GM soldier content :smile:

Metropolis is on the menu for us this weekend actually.

Lot of time for Anthony Mackie turning a second tier Marvel role into a solid gig headlining Netflix garbage.

1 Like

Dick Johnson is Dead is dead good

2 Likes

Ratcatcher is a really good film. Not a light hearted family romp, by any stretch

5 Likes

Just watched Bowling for Columbine and now I obvs wanna watch Fahrenheit 9/11 the 2004 one and cannot locate it anywhere to rent or buy! Has it been erased or something?!

Can’t message you but if you google Farenheit 9/11 watch online, the first link has it

1 Like

Should have done a double bill with Ratatouille and had the best of both worlds

Recently watched:

Lawrence Of Arabia - Saw all 3¾ hours of it in one sitting. I’ve seen most if it before in bits when it’s been on TV but never as a whole. Very impressive. Lawrence isn’t sure who’s side he’s quite on and there’s a thin line between caring, arrogance and hubris on his part. Peter O’Toole is brilliant and has the most beautiful blue eyes I’ve seen on a bloke on screen. I had to Google to see who beat him for the Oscar that year. It was Gregory Peck for To Kill A Mockingbird. Brilliant cinematography and score too. 9/10.

Spinster - An indie rom-com of sorts. Chelsea Peretti breaks up with her boyfriend and adjusts to being single. One of those coming of age indie films for single people in their late 30s and 40s. Funny and warm and not a long film at around 85 minutes. I had to Shazam a few of the songs. Never heard of Jenn Grant but liked her tracks on the film. Good film. 8/10.

Hunted - An ok horror film. A cat and mouse between a woman and a couple of murdering perverts. The last ten minutes were fun. Overall nothing too gripping but not dull either. I like these type of films to watch before bedtime with drinks. I wouldn’t want to waste a brilliant horror after I’ve had a few too many beer and wine watching at 1am. Hunted is a good time waster and gets 6.5/10.

Uncle Peckerhead - Comedy horror. A band tour with a bloke that turns into a zombie every midnight. Not bad. Neither that funny nor too much gore but ok to watch. I wanted to like it but it just didn’t click for me. 6.5/10.

Semi-Pro - Will Farrell, Andre 300 and Woody Harrelson in a basketball comedy. Excellent supporting cast including Will Arnett. You know what type of comedy you’ll get. The reviews were mixed or below average but I liked it. 7.5/10.

2 Likes

Talking of David Lean I watched Dr Zhivago for the 1st time the other day

Looks amazing (like duh) - just amazing “no they really do not make them like this anymore” aesthetics. Loved Rod Steiger in it, and Tom Courtney - but some characters are just kind of dropped with their final fate just given in exposition which is kind of annoying and it’s a bit flabby in the last hour or so

Classic cinema / 10

1 Like

I liked Dr Zhivago too. I watched it over a night shift at work many years ago. The balalaika music really got on my nerves though.

Not sure which is the best David Lean film for me; either Brief Encounter or The Bridge On The River Kwai.

I saw Darling and The Go-Between in the last few weeks with Julie Christie. I liked Darling but The Go-Between just bored me.

LOA is the best of the ones I’ve seen IMO

Thanks! I’m hoping I can steam that to my telly cause I absolutely lose patience with that kind of shit and would gladly pay £5 for it to just be on the big telly

loved Rocco and His Brothers. Somehow seemed to fly by but then also made full use of the running time. Glad I set aside time to watch it though

2 Likes

have you seen Sicko too? dunno how it would look now in hindsight, and maybe we all know a lot more about American healthcare than we used to, but it actually made me cry when I saw it

Didn’t really rate Babyteeth. Thought there was probably a decent film in there somewhere but thought it had too much thrown at it, all of it desperate to wring out as much emotional heft as possible, none of it with any room to breathe. No need to be 2 hours long either

4 Likes

Wasn’t bothered by Babyteeth either but it was my partner’s favourite of the year. I feel it could have benefited from a single point of view. It seemed to jump from the daughter to the parents and back again - I’d have preferred they expanded on her feelings or focused on her parents trying to make sense of it. It just felt a bit half-baked taking a fraction of the story from each.

1 Like