January 2022 Film News/Trailer chat thread

Hot on the heels of Palme d’Or winner Titane came the second and third prize winners at Cannes last year (A Hero and Memoria). Plus possible Oscar frontrunner Belfast and new PTA/Almodovar films

1st January
Licorice Pizza
The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

7th January
A Hero (Amazon release 21st January)
The 355
Boiling Point
The Tender Bar (Amazon)

14th January
Cow
Cyrano
Memoria
Scream (actually Scream 5)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Apple)

21st January
Belfast
Nightmare Alley
Journal for Jordan
Munich - The Edge of War (Netflix)

28th January
Parallel Mothers
Sing 2
Morbius

Was really hoping to see Licorice Pizza today but Cineworld are only playing it in about four locations nationwide (despite showing me the trailer loads recently), and the only place showing it here is the Tyneside, which has had massive scandals over the last year about workplace bullying. Ugh.

1 Like

:frowning: Well you can’t expect cinemas to give up the 20 showings a day of Spider-Man for anything not franchise-related, that would be crazy.

1 Like

Anyone know if that “single screening at a single cinema at a time” release thing has changed? No news sites mention it now.

That’s what they’re doing in the US, but not in the UK as I think it’s a different distributor here

1 Like

• Definitely coming out in December
  • LOL never coming out

0 voters

Finding it sort of impressive how much secrecy there is around not just this but all of the other ones. Like some people denying they’ve started shooting 4 but then others saying a third of it is done.

Be quite funny if they teed up four films, the first one bombs and the rest go straight to Disney+, and then Cameron is contractually forced to talk about how streaming them is the way he intended audiences to see them.

1 Like

what should i see this afternoon

• Titane
  • Licorice Pizza (70mm)

0 voters

What will be the biggest box office film of 2022

• The Batman
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Thor: Love and Thunder
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • Jurassic World Dominion
  • Minions: The Rise of Gru
  • Mission: Impossible 7
  • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

0 voters

Could go in the Marvel Thread I guess but this is just news

I hadn’t realised this has been delayed by two years. From the Wikipedia page on its release:

Morbius is scheduled to be released in the United States on April 1, 2022, in IMAX. It was originally set for release on July 10, 2020, before moving three weeks later to July 31, 2020. The film was then delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, firstly to March 19, 2021, then to October 8, 2021, then to January 21, 2022, before moving to January 28, then moving to April 1.

Absolutely hilarious. I can only think that inline with @anon18868718’s podcast episode that this is down to whatever deep state aspect of Jared Leto is involved and they feel it absolutely HAS to go into cinemas or else there’s a chance he won’t get the full fame value they need. Baffling not to get it out online otherwise.

Or it’s a contractual thing that it has to get a cinema release and they don’t want to buy him out of that.

Probably just a bit nervy cos box office figures have been all over the place recently, but it’s still the best/only way to recoup the bags of cash big budget films cost to make.

1 Like
2 Likes

Hmmmm.

2 Likes

The full video is on YouTube.

1 Like

RIP. The Last Picture Show and What’s Up Doc are both terrific films