Jason Molina Listening Club

There have been a couple of Jason Molina related projects announced recently that I haven’t seen discussed here:

Secretly Society podcast - I think the first five (?) episodes may revolve around Jason Molina and Eight Gates. Have listened to the first two, they are interesting and sad in equal measure as you may imagine

Static and Distance: A Jason Molina community. Found out about this through @GoldFlakePaint, who I believe will be appearing on some later posts/projects. It’s substack so you subscribe ($5USD a month) and get access to recordings and first dibs on releases. Some interesting stuff on the horizon hopefully:

(The Jason Molina HGATR was the thread that convinced me to post again after a good spell away - you can blame that - and have spent the last couple of years listening to and building up my Molina collection again on vinyl. Will share a pic in due course. Mentally wrote a reply to that thread about one hundred times, should probably just post it in there eh).

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on the above and in general what Molina have you been listening to.

3 Likes

Found this article from early lockdown today, GQ of all places. Very nice:

1 Like

LONG DARK BLUES!

just posting here to remind me to come back to the thread when i have more time.

4 Likes

Had a couple of deliveries this week which have got me fairly close to Molina completion level, here’s where the collection currently stands (only just plucked up the courage to buy Erin Osmon’s biography so will do a read/listen along):

8 Likes

Would love a vinyl reissue of Soujourner

3 Likes

The dream. There is also the Journey On collected singles boxset which came out for (sigh) RSD in 2014 which is going for silly money, would really like that.

1 Like

Didn’t know there was a rolling thread, nice. Listened to Protection Spells yesterday and I’ll be damned if I didn’t have a little cry. What a tune.

2 Likes

Ah man. May have to put this on later myself. Ended up paying a bit of silly money for the singles boxset on vinyl.

Inspired by your fine work, I was tempted to do a Molina listening club. Could be pretty intense though.

2 Likes

Please, please do. I’m so in.

5 Likes

Jason Molina listening club featuring all of his various projects:

• I am in for this
  • Ooooof, count me out

0 voters

1 Like

Yeah, I fell for him after the HGATR thread. Own Ghost Tropic and Didn’t it Rain on vinyl and keen to dive further. Well up for this.

1 Like

Ahhhhh you are in for a treat.

2 Likes

Didn’t It Rain has turned 20:

6 Likes

I WILL RESERRUCT IT (The listening club idea)

Have some exams this week but should be able to start it up next week or week after (although @NeilYoung has just started a Steely Dan listening club!!1)

• Week commencing 21/03/2022
  • Week commencing 28/03/2022

0 voters

This is good

1 Like

This is good too (A-side isn’t a patch on the original but B-side is a great version)

1 Like

Quite eerie but shortly after posting the above this arrived at the door. Can’t wait to give it a spin, have been avoiding the streams. WOOF at the setlist :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I shouldn’t read too much into coincidences like this but today is 9 years since we lost Jason Molina and this finally arrived in the post. Will put some of these on later and remember him:

1 Like

Is that the new live recordings? How is it?