Jason Molina

Been listening to his stuff all afternoon. Not heard him before, he’s brilliant.

3 Likes

I sadly didn’t really discover him until after his death, but he was truly amazing. This really good piece was a big part of me discovering his music.

3 Likes

Cheers. I will read this.

RIP

2 Likes

I’ve listened to most of Songs:Ohia and his first under his own name. Can’t believe I’m only just listening to him.

I was at this gig, he was a last minute replacement because Geoff Farina was ill, think it was just announced the day before or something like that, it was lovely

I read somewhere it was the last time he performed live but don’t know if that’s true, it was a few years before he died.

1 Like

Huge idol of mine. Such a beautiful and tender voice and seemed really relateable and comforting in a way I don’t get with many other artists, hard to explain really.

7 Likes

Can highly recommend watching this documentary about the making of their Josephine album.

Feels like a huge privilege seeing them all at work:

2 Likes

Will check that out. Just listening to Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go. It’s pretty much floored me.

Yeah, I mean I loved them before watching this, but being able to see their creative process made me respect them even more.

The band are essentially nailing songs on their first run through takes & Molina is writing lyrics on the fly on flipcharts a moment before singing. Albini is loving how little tape he has to use! Incredible.

1 Like

Also new to Molina so very much appreciating this thread

2 Likes

The Magnolia Electric Co is one of my all time favourite albums. I just love everything about it from Jason’s lyrics to his voice to the overall sound/production. Also really like Didn’t it Rain and Josephine.

Need to explore more of his stuff as I only really know those albums.

1 Like

Molina’s finest work for me, so starkly beautiful. Listening to this record I get a Hopper-esque mental image of driving round some anonymous midwestern town at night with the music playing in time to the wiper blades. So good.

I’d explore What Comes After The Blues next.

4 Likes

I came across Molina after reading the DiS guide to Slowcore. Checked out Didn’t it Rain and just haven’t stopped. This is one of the best discoveries I’ve made in a long time. Everything he did is 8/10 or better. What a talent.

3 Likes

Probably the songwriter whose work touches me the most. The lioness is his greatest, well that’s what I feel at the moment, ask me again in a month and I’ll say something else. So rare to find someone who can sing beautifully, write music and write lyrics to such a consistently high standard. PJ Harvey is the only other person I can think of who has all those three bases covered over so many records to such a high degree.

1 Like

And so was I

It is true, that night was his last ever public performance.

2 Likes

What an amazing songwriter. Some personal favourites.

3 Likes

Long Desert Train is my favourite :heart:/:cry:

2 Likes

Ohh man. Often revisit Molina’s work, mainly Songs: Ohia. A truly fantastic American troubadour and gone way too soon. An artist who’s work can truly bring you to your knees with sombering reality. ‘Magnolia Electric Co.’ so reminds me of Neil Young’s 70s work.

Will definitely be diving back into a lot of his work this week due to this thread…

4 Likes

Mine too, devastatingly beautiful song.

1 Like