Jay Rayner winding up veggies

Every one enjoys the experiance of a visit to Greggs. Not you though it seems.

Agreed.

1 Like

I think that chain places have much more of an obligation here than places where a chef is actually curating their menu personally.

1 Like

you could have least corrected my spelling mistake.

2 Likes

HOWEVER I have been to a wedding where the only food was a hog roast (didn’t even want to go you fucking twats!) and the last two work conferences I have been to they had bacon rolls on arrival and nothing else!

Was just tenuously related so bunged it ITT, wasn’t meant to be an extrapolation of Rayner’s argument

Is it though?
When we go for a big meal and theres like 10 of us, why should everyone go somewhere else JUST for me?

If more restaurants had vegan options available, or be able to modify a vegetarian meal, it wouldn’t really be much of a problem. The problem is when we go somewhere and there is literally NOTHING. The last place i went to like this was Cote which is a chain and I had to have just salad leaves and bread. THAT WAS IT.

Experiance.

2 Likes

because they’re your friends and family? it’s not going somewhere just for you, just somewhere that caters to you as well as other people. if you get to the stage of arriving at a place to find out there’s no vegan options, that could easily have been avoided.

Speaking as a MEAT EATER this is definitely one for the things that should in theory be nice but are usually a letdown thread 'cos you always think “hog roast - excellent” and it’s always, ALWAYS a letdown. Dry meat. Shit accompaniments. Terrible buns. Huge queues.

So yeah basically no-one ate well at that wedding.

Also who’s putting on a hog roast for the guests at their wedding in 2017?

You’ve just reminded me about the horrendous caterer at our wedding. We were deternined to give the 2 vegan guests attending something actually nice to eat and the caterer recommended stilton stuffed mushroom.

But then X doesn’t like fish and Y doesn’t like thai and Z doesn’t like turkish food…it’ll be a bit of a minefield if you start to think too much about everyones individual needs. You just book a place that caters to the majority and hope everyone finds something. It really would not be a problem if most places did a vegan option ANYWAY rather than having to find out IF there is a vegan option.

Yeah deffo more of a 2015 thing.

(Went to 3 weddings, 100% hog roast coverage)

((This does not include my own wedding in the same year which didn’t have a hog roast and amply catered for everyone to great feedback))

Who said it was in 2017, dipshit? Think it was about 2010.

Was more of a generalisation, as answered in Geoff’s reply. Not everything is about you Lonzo.

Jay Rayner - dry your eyes mate.

I think you can forgive tiny independent places, but anywhere with a decent sized menu really should have at least one/two veggie options out of their entire availability. It’s really not that hard to make the token effort with this stuff.

That said, when there’s no effort into the one token veggie option that’s also frustrating. I’ve had enough mediocre unfrozen and unseasoned bean-patties to last me a thousand lifetimes.

There’s enough vegetarians/vegans that restaurants are just losing money by not offering something to them, and there’s enough veggies that it’s fair to criticise a restaurant for its lack of options.

KFC were mentioned upthread and they’re a main offender for me. Huge chain and lots of money but not a thing I can eat aside from beans. If I could have a Zinger burger but with fake chicken I’d be all over that. All of the main fast food chains have really bad options here, if one of them stepped up their game they’d make so much money!

Hey multinational fast food chains - this guy reckons your business model’s all wrong!!!

I’m glad you’ve understood my point and agree with me whole heartedly

Guess the issue is cross-contamination.
Knocking out a veggie chicken burger is easy, making sure you can guarantee there’s no cross contamination in the batter/oil etc. isn’t as easy

1 Like