Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

affleck was the bomb in phantoms yo

7 Likes

Clerks 2 was always gonna make money just from from the remaining goodwill the first film generated. I just can’t imagine anyone who saw it can’t have come away thinking, “this guy is competent at making films! He should definitely make more!”

But then I guess the studios didn’t see the film, just the spreadsheet. And whoever greenlit a Kevin Smith buddy cop movie starring Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan cannot have been of sound mind in the first place.

I had forgotten about ‘Cop Out’! I am glad he got to make it as i did enjoy Kevin Smith’s ‘Bruce Willis is a dick’ stories.

3 Likes

That Comic Con he did where he talked about Willis was pretty awesome Kevin Smith - Re: Bruce Willis - YouTube

1 Like

Self-confessed Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes fan, don’t hate me.

I have enjoyed most of his films and liked it when he went into the horror genre, particularly Red State. This trailer though doesn’t make me too excited, hopefully when it comes out, it’s better

I thought Tusk was supposed to be good? Haven’t seen it.

haha i thought it was good. The lord of the rings scene had me in stitches

Crucially, it was also the first one.

Schtick got old quick.

2 Likes

It feels bizarre now but watching some geeky dudes talking about Star Wars in an irreverent fashion actually felt new and refreshing at the time.

Future generations: try not to judge us too harshly, we had no idea what we were unleashing.

4 Likes

Smith only directed Cop Out - he didn’t write or create it, so not really fair to single him out for any annoyance the film brought you. I’m thinking it starring Bruce Almighty was a reason it got greenlit?

Tbh it didn’t bring me any annoyance as I haven’t seen it, I’d just heard it was god awful.

I’m even more baffled by this though - has anyone seen a Kevin Smith film and been impressed by his directorial chops? Surely his writing is what his die hard fans go to see? The whole project just seems weird to me. But maybe it’s an unheralded masterpiece, I’ve no idea :man_shrugging:

I liked Cop Out for what it is - never gonna change the world but the script was quite sharp.

Smith himself never claims he’s a fantastic director, to be fair. He keeps getting projects greenlit because he has a large, loyal fanbase that makes a £4m budget turn into a modest profit every time.

I’m in for Reboot but just for nostalgia more than anything - in fact that is a key word Smith has used about the whole project. He said, after nearly dying last year, he wrote Reboot for the simple pleasure of playing within his own sandbox.

Always liked Chasing Amy. Thought it made a good point about how difficult it can be to not judge your partner for their previous ‘escapades’.

Not seen it for twenty years mind…

1 Like

Being a director is his job though - something he bankrupted himself making Clerks of his own back to do for a living. You’d think he’d have more ambition than to get stoned off his gizzards, make poor films and make a modest profit at the end of it. Though on the other hand if I could quit my job and do that instead I absolutely would. And he’s clearly enjoying himself so more power to him I guess.

he nearly died recently in fairness

Is that in the Lake District?

1 Like

Not sure what your point is tbh? I’m glad he’s not dead and I don’t particularly begrudge him his nostalgiafest. I’m still a bit mad about Clerks 2 is all.

1 Like

Lion face, argh! Lemon face, oooh!

Looks baaaaaaaad. But will still go see it.

Scene where Ben Affleck/Matt Damon mock each other for all the bombs/crap films they’ve made since 2001

2 Likes

Cracking stuff that bit. See also:

“I don’t like them apples Will, what we going to do?”
“Chucky…”
“Yeah?”
“It’s hunting season!” BOOM!

2 Likes