Jay Z’s albums back on spotify

Looks like the whole catalogue’s been restored. Think it’s been a few years. Thrilled.

Laugh?

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, have never listened to a Jay-Z album as only really got into rap music in the last decade and only really listen to music using Spotify.

Where’s best to start?

Reasonable Doubt.

5 Likes

Nah, it’s quite common that people miss out on artists whose back catalogue isn’t available on streaming platforms.

9 Likes

So much ^this

Yay

1 Like

Reasonable Doubt is amazing - just one of those outrageously well thought out and fully formed debuts (aside from the hokey Scarface skits) - he was never really so brooding and insular again, but in terms of Big Concept Albums, you can’t go wrong with:

Black Album (kind of a career/life summation & retrospective).

Blueprint (made at his commercial peak having narrowly avoided jail time - it has an energy and ebullience that makes his relief clear).

And the latest 4:44 (deals with the near break up of him and Beyoncé).

2 Likes

Yeah, the same 4 I pick from. Not a huge Jay-Z fan, but I know a lot of people really rate Vol 1, 2 and 3.

The volumes are my biggest weak spot so I’m looking forward to getting back in there now they’re up again.

1 Like

Vol’s 1-3 have a lot of great material, but aren’t really great albums in their own right IMO. I might make a playlist at some point now they’re back.

2 Likes

4:44 was one of my favourite albums of 2017. Really sets the standard for how to age gracefully as a top MC.

1 Like

Jay Z is 50 today. Was a bit surprised by that for some reason.

2 Likes

Jay Z ranked!

Great: Reasonable Doubt > The Blueprint > The Black Album
Good: Vol. 1 > 4.44 > American Gangster > Vol. 2.
OK: Watch the Throne > Vol. 3 > The Dynasty
:toilet:: The Blueprint 2 > The Blueprint 3 > The Carters > Kingdom Come > Magna Carta Holy Grail > Best of Both Worlds > Unfinished Business

2 Likes

It did. Felt like he was catering to the old heads with that one. Short, no guests, single producer.

He’s had a savvy knack of flipping between selling out entirely and artistic credibility/fan service his whole career. Has a solid legacy for an artist that’s released so much utter guff, and a decent knack for making music for a guy whose rapping skills have long rusted.

1 Like

Vol 1 is freaking amazing

3 Likes

Is Reasonable Doubt on Spotify? All of his other albums have been on Apple Music for some time but not Reasonable Doubt for some reason.

Definitely Magna Carta… Holy Grail. You can really hear the Samsung come through on that record.

5 Likes

It is.