Jazz Chat (Rollin')

Can’t remember where I read it, but I enjoyed the hugely bitchy description of Whiplash and La La Land as “Damien Chazelle’s doomed campaign to convince the world he ‘gets’ jazz”

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about the films as a jazz fan. They make me cringe on a number of levels but anything that gets people to listen to jazz, however loosely, can’t be a bad thing. For many people jazz is such a scary place and if these films open the door even a little bit I don’t mind.

1 Like

New Comet is Coming album in September!

2 Likes

this is so good. sort of like I Trawl The Megahertz meets The Blue Notebooks meets film noir.

2 Likes

took me a while to realise the spoken word stuff is only on the first track ha but yeah those two records have a similar spoken word vibe but are also both 10/10! if not very jazz

1 Like

Edit: Jaimie Branch has died, RIP

Quite a shock

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChniO0nPAFO/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Shit. A great talent lost at no age at all.

3 Likes

Fuck. That’s come out of nowhere. RIP.

Woah, really sad news.

That’s really sad news, i’m proper gutted, She was an amazing talent, and a pretty unique one too.

1 Like

I always just think of them as the contractually obliged albums. Don’t think there is a collective term for them.

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes

Awful news. A real talent. The Fly Or Die Live album is absolutely phenomenal. Really hoped I could see her play someday, gutted I won’t be able to now.

Oh yeah, that must be it! Thread title updated in tribute.

2 Likes

She was supposed to play over here (or at least in Belfast) as a guest in somebody else’s band last year. I think it was cancelled last minute though.

This is shit news. You’ve prompted me to get this album now. I’ve got fly or die which is great - giving its spin now.

just saw this. awful news

There’s been quite a lot of great stuff on ECM over the past couple of years - it’s not always pushing the envelope but it is reliably polished, quality jazz. This album from a quartet led by German pianist Hülsmann is no exception, a real class act.

1 Like

This is also a great album - reckon this could be up there with my favourite jazz records of the year.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Both the Makaya McCraven and The Comet is Coming albums are insanely good. Like, AOTY top 10 bothering good.

8 Likes