Jazz Chat (Rollin')

This is so sick. Matt Calvert from Three Trapped Tigers with a live performance of his solo record from a few years back. Oof.

1 Like

Herbie’s playing on this is out of this world! Had never listened to it before somehow, thanks for the heads-up!

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

Hearing this for the first time today. Absolutely incredible, the sheer power of Doyle’s playing. Graves sounds like two drummers at once!

3 Likes

saw this show a number of times live, including the first performance at SET in Dalston, phenomenal album!

1 Like

Just picked up tickets for an Alice Coltrane tribute that Alina Bzhezinska is doing in Cork along with Brian Jackson. Could be an all-timer.

6 Likes

I put Ghosted I on my jazz list because, like The Necks, it feels like it is very much rooted in jazz.

I agree that Ghosted 2 is very good too.

1 Like

love AF when I’ve seen him, flagging this as a cool event for anyone into jazz guitar magics

hope he plays here again soon

anyone listened to Hailu Mergia? Saw he’s playing in town during the fringe, might see if it’s my dad’s sort of jazz and take him along

3 Likes

Hailu Mergia is amazing, proper living legend. Definitely go!

4 Likes

What do people think of the Shabaka album now it’s been out for a while?

I’m tending towards it’s a shame he’s given up saxophone. He used to make genuinely new and exciting music; however, his flute stuff just seems lost in the big wave of Carlos Nino-style ambient Jazz. I even think I prefer the Andre 3000 album.

Definitely give it a go. I really enjoyed it when I saw him in Margate a couple of years ago - Last night's gig was - #4425 by cowowl. As mentioned in that post, I was pleasantly surprised to see that he sold out the venue on a weeknight.

1 Like

Matana Roberts playing Belfast and Dublin shows in August. I can’t see any others from a quick look but I imagine a full uk tour is in the works if we’re getting her in Belfast

2 Likes