Jazz Club (WEEK 10: Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music: Volume 1)

It’s definitely a summer record isn’t it. I’ve listened through a couple of times this week - it’s warm, charming and has been a nice backdrop to getting on with other stuff. My main take (before seeing your comment) was that I want to listen again on a summer evening outside with a drink.

1 Like

I personally love this album in all weather. An absolute pleasure from start to end.

2 Likes

Getz/Gilberto polls! Up to two tracks otherwise it’ll be a rout:

Album Rating - Getz/Gilberto

0 voters

Getz/Gilberto - Favourite Tracks
  • The Girl From Ipanema
  • Doralice
  • Para Machuchar Meu Coração
  • Desafinado
  • Corcovado (Quiet Night Of Quiet Stars)
  • So Danço Samba
  • O Grande Amor
  • Vivo Sonhando (Dreamer)

0 voters

Getz/Gilberto sounding good this morning with the sun streaming in through the front room :+1:t2:

1 Like

the thing I really love in this is the tone and kind of effortlessness of the vocals

2 Likes

Getz/Gilberto is just a really cool record, isn’t it? You feel cool listening to it, whether you’re in a dingy office in Croydon or on a sun lounger on the beach in St Tropez.

So, Getz/Gilberto slots in above Billie with 7.89:

Rank Artist Album Score
1 John Coltrane A Love Supreme 9.18
2 Miles Davis Kind of Blue 9.08
3 Art Blakey & The Messengers Moanin’ 8.82
4 Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um 8.65
5 Dave Brubeck Time Out 8.5
6 Ornette Coleman The Shape of Jazz to Come 8.44
7 Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus 8.36
8 Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto Getz/Gilberto 7.89
9 Billie Holiday Lady In Satin 6.88

A change in style again, but another of the greats. This week’s album is:

Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music: Volume 1

A conversation about the most influential figures in jazz history isn’t complete without [the one and only Thelonious Monk and this album is our top pick from his extensive discography.

Compiling tracks recorded in 1947 for the iconic Blue Note label, the music must have sounded shockingly modern when it was first released.

Reissues of this disc have presented different track-listings with alternate takes, but the big hits are all there.

It includes a number of favourite Monk tunes, including ‘In Walked Bud’ (a dedication to Bud Powell), ‘Epistrophy’, ‘I Mean You’ and ‘Round Midnight’, his most famous composition.

As with all albums in this top 10, the music is not just a jazz fan-favourite, but has woven its way into the consciousness of millions of other listeners around the world.

Personnel

It’s a compilation with various reissues, all with different track listings. I think this is the standard version:

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a Blue Note CD of this with a massive tracklist. All gold though.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

1 Like

Doesn’t suit this weather at all but Getz/Gilberto was perfect Sunday afternoon music

YES MONK! Instant 10

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw an expanded version on Spotify when I was looking for a link, but thought it would be too much to absorb in a week as core listening.

Apologies all, haven’t got round to giving this a proper listen yet or had chance to put up polls. I’ll let it run for another week and do the polls on friday.

1 Like