Jenny Hval Time

this is lovely and floaty

This single and the Lost Girls EP are so ace! Any material is a winner in my books.

Yesssss

8 Likes

Think she might be my favourite artist of the last few years.

4 Likes

Songs really good too:

2 Likes

That is excellent, she is pretty special. Annoyingly I have still never seen her live.

Did anyone read her book? I enjoyed it.

1 Like
4 Likes

Yesss!! Paradise Rot was great but also it was written a decade ago so it’ll be really exciting to see what a new one’s like - musically she’s got so so good the last few years, hopefully that’s true of her writing too

1 Like
2 Likes

Ohhh, got a bit of Is This Desire? vibe to it (before the sax anyway), I am into it!

the new tracks are very good indeed, but my real excitement is for the new book which is partly about BLACK METAL and if it’s half as good as paradise rot will still be very good indeed. all hail hval

2 Likes

This album is great isnt it? Really immediate and really satisfying. Can very happily put it back on as soon as it finsihes.

Ordinary a big standout out for me. Would love to hear a remix which brings those chimes to the front and makes it a big banger

Really wish I’d got a ticket to the Barbican now.

4 Likes

Hands down my album of the year, just wish there was a bit more of it!

5 Likes

This has taken me a bit by surprise. I’ve liked her previous stuff, but this album is another level brilliant. Definite AOTY contender.

2 Likes

Thought I had Sharon van Etten nailed down as my AOTY, but this record has blown me away. Mighty impressive work.

Three star review from the Guardian though!? They need to give their heads a wobble.

1 Like

AOTY contender here too. Magical!

1 Like

It’s interesting to go back and listen to the previous records in light of this one. I always liked the ideas and the intelligence of those records but found them a bit difficult to really warm to. Going back to them you can hear the more melodic bits but it’s almost as if she hides from that - always cutting up or interrupting when things get a bit too obviously tuneful. I found I admired them more than I liked them - my favourite track of hers was always the one on the Kelly Lee Owens album.

I just feel she’s loosened up a bit on the new one - she’s still got all of her complex and interesting lyrical ideas but she’s relaxed a bit and let the tunes breathe a bit more.

As well as loving the new one, it’s opened up the previous records to me which is really great.

2 Likes

I had much the same feelings. I admired her albums rather than enjoyed them, but then heard ‘Spells’ on her EP last year and hoped she might follow through on that promise. And here what we are! What a special and particularly more-ish album. ‘Ashes to Ashes’ is my favourite.

2 Likes

Hope JH & KLO do a full collaborative album at some point.

Have you listened to Meshes of Voice? It’s very different musically but maybe is similar in that it is perhaps less wilful than her other stuff.

She’s definitely an artist who creates a secret world whose magic is revealed when you work out how to access that world.

2 Likes