Jewellery, and the gifting thereof (womanfolk opinions needed pls)

Hallo. Let’s say i was gearing up to buy jewellery for t’other half, because aside from engagement/wedding ring and a necklace of pearls (deliberate phrasing there so no fnar’ing), I have not done the whole jewellery thing before.

Which of these would you be pleased to receive on scales of 1 to 10, 10 being MOST pleased?

Bracelet

0 voters

Necklace

0 voters

Earrings

0 voters

Additional rings, assuming you are already wearing an engagement/wedding ring

0 voters

Obviously discussion on this encouraged in addition to the poll taking

I like picking out my own jewellery (I hardly wear any and am fussy about what I do have, so would want to choose my own stuff) but that’s just me. Would definitely be that person who chooses their own engagement ring lol. Earrings in my opinion always go down well though, they’re harder to get wrong

I haven’t voted because i think it’s pretty subjective. I don’t wear bracelets much because small ones get hidden by the long sleeves i always wear, and big ones fall off because i have small hands. I don’t wear rings much because i find them impractical. But maybe your wife loves wearing them. Pick an item of jewellery of the kind she wears most often, i reckon

i am 95% that i know her well enough to get something in a style she likes, because fortunately she tends to be a fan of specific eras of design (namely deco) which helped like hell in finding an engagement ring.

@froglet this is the problem. coz she’s often dancing it means she tends to not put on jewellery casually, but has always wanted more to wear on nights out with me/her pals. So i have the odd situation of knowing she’d like to dress up in more jewellery without even being sure SHE knows what she’d want. Maybe this purchase is a doomed idea come to think of it.

Maybe just have a look at various types of jewellery and see what you think she’d like and what will go with the kind of thing she wears? I think it’s a nice gift idea!

i’mma give it a shot and if nothing jumps out i’ll err on side of caution and wait til she’s more specific about what she likes at some point.

it’s annoying coz i can buy in line with her dress sense pretty damn well now; jewellery is just a bit mystifying coz no points of reference

Sub-thread:

If it really is the thought that counts, is it ever okay to go knock-off (providing the quality’s good)?

• Yes, i love my partner
  • No, i’m only interested in the resale value

0 voters

I would love to be given jewellery, don’t think I have ever been other than stuff I picked myself.

To me, rings, bracelets and necklaces feel more special. But that’s as I don’t change my earrings…

It’s always a lovely thing to get and be able to remember when you wear it, even if that isn’t everyday!

this is a good one actually. i think i’ll always buy second-hand jewellery anyway to avoid funding the good ol’ diamond trade, but also i would def buy something that looks nice regardless of if its made of ‘cheaper’ materials or bought from a high street clothes shop, or a market stall or etc if i thought she’d like it.

Is the right, reasonable answer. There’s too much emphasis on how much things cost when it comes to jewellery. Not that second hand or copies mighn’t be expensive, like. Which twat decided that, say, an engagement ring should cost a month’s wages? That’s fucking stupid. Generally speaking just buy a nice ring. If it’s a few hundred pound but you’re sure it’s the right one, get it. If it’s a tenner but they love it and you can fund your Lucky 15s for a few months, y’know, do that.

Yep exactly. I’ve only met a handful of couples who’ve subscribed to the ‘it must be x amount’ philosophy and haven’t really ever been sure what to say to them because it makes basically no sense at all to me.

Seems like trying to trick your partner into thinking you spent £££ when you didn’t. I don’t mind inexpensive jewellery but i don’t want cheap pretending to be an expensive brand

oh i didn’t read knock-off as in ‘fake rolex’. just like not-precious metal/glass instead of diamonds if it looks nice and so on. like, the engagement ring i got was diamonds but the look of it was more vital so i’d have gotten it even if they weren’t i reckon.

Hmm. @bugduv did you mean fake rolex kind of knock off or non-precious metal etc? Just checking in case i need to change my answer

ffs all the scores are averaging out about the same guys this is terrible help

I would like a bejewelled crown, xylo. Where is this option?

fantastic alternative, good shout. if i get you for secret santa you’ll be laughing

I love my partner just enough to not buy her something that turns her skin green.

I often buy my GF jewellery. About 40% of the time she sees something that she likes and i buy it. 40% i see something and get her opinion. The other 20 I pick myself and luckily get it pretty spot on.