John Mahoney (Frasier's Dad) RIP

aww rip :slightly_frowning_face:

Wonderful actor who played his character to a tee. Rest In Power.

:frowning:

my style icon, as @Witches has often pointed out

Aww, that’s sad. Often think about him in Barton Fink. RIP.

(replicated from the Frasier thread)

Very sad news.

‘I’m a regular joe and I like my joe regular’ :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

1. I thought he would be older than that. Sad news.

DiS thinks this is a list item then…

Yeah, seems weird to think that he was only 52 when that show started (and Kelsey Grammer was only 38).

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Saw the first episode not too long ago and… the character’s older than 52 at the start surely! (Don’t know if his age is revealed). Anyway - just leapt out at me is all.

He’s one of those people who went grey early so did all of his aging all at once.

Trying desperately to find the picture of him dressed as an Italian diplomat from one of the later episodes which genuinely makes me crack up every time I think about it.

The character was born in 1932 (so was 61 when the show started), according to wikipedia.

Frasier’s a bit of a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed it when I was younger but when I’ve seen repeats in the last few years I’ve found it a bit… dated I guess? I dunno. Either way his character as Dad and Frasier and Niles as his sons is one of the great all time comedy juxtapositions for sure.

Yeah that makes sense. His character was a cop right? I knew he’d have retired early but not THAT early!

He retired early after being shot in the hip (it’s why he walks with a cane and why he moves into Frasier’s apartment)

Rewatched it a couple of years ago, think I appreciated it more than ever tbh. Some of the farce episodes are incredibly well written.

Sad news. RIP.

Fair enough. I should probably give it another go! In my head vintage Cheers (Shelley Long era) trumps vintage Frasier but I think it’s time I re-evaluated this. Oh no I’ve got to watch all of Cheers and Frasier again, how awful!

liked him in Moonstruck
proper lovely film and he was perfect for it