John Prine RIP

One of the greatest songwriters in the history of music was lost today to the coronavirus

One of pop NY favs RIP

4 Likes

:sob:

1 Like

fucking hell, god I love Prine so much.

2 Likes

RIP. Great songwriter. Very sad. Before he had a hip injury his Australian tour was supposed to start this weekend. Was going to go and see him. :heart:

1 Like

RIP :frowning:

1 Like

what a fucking tune!!

1 Like

Withers and Prine in the same week my musical heart can’t take this shit.

1 Like

One of the all time greats. Lovely tribute in the Guardian here -

1 Like

My dad used to play the Nanci Griffith cover of Speed of the Sound of Loneliness all the time. And the Alabama 3 version too. It’s one of my favourite songs, really sad news

2 Likes

What a pisser

1 Like

One of mine too:

4 Likes

RIP, only discovered him in the last 2 years or so but amazed how many good songs were written by him

1 Like

My wife will be devastated by this. We saw him play at the Royal concert Hall in Glasgow in 2013ish I think, he was exceptional.

1 Like

Sat here listening to this phenomenally beautiful song with tears in my eyes.

2 Likes

Only ever heard The Late John Garfield Blues, which is absolutely brilliant. Should investigate more but he’s released an awful lot of stuff.

One of these musicians that i had always heard about without actually finding the time to listen to.
Will certainly be remedying that.

Where is a good place to start, the beginning i guess?!

I’d start with this self titled debut. Then ‘Bruised Orange’ and ‘Sweet Revenge’. Those are all Prine staples for me, all released in the 70’s. I think you’ll find yourself in a wormhole after those and will re-visit a lot more of his discography.

2 Likes

There is a Live album that captures everything about him that’s great.

1 Like

Love this track

1 Like

Literally only heard this tune today, glorious stuff

1 Like