Jubilee awfulness

Have we got a thread for this yet?

This isn’t the worst thing in the world - the kids get a party out of it - but I bet there’s no chat there about inherited wealth or divine right to power

Anyway, post your objectionable stuff here, or just stuff that for no reason other than the jubilee has had a crown / Union Jack printed on the packaging

As we get closer to it I’m getting more pleased that I’m going to be out of the country for it, and hopefully will miss most of the associated bullshit as a result.

Kind of a dry run for what I’m hoping to do when what I’d assume will be the next big Royal news happens.

1 Like

Thank god I’m going to be at Primavera over the Jubilee bank holiday (which means 2 less days of annual leave so cheers Liz I guess).

8 Likes

Brain keeps trying to scan this to the tune of motorcycle emptiness and slipping up on the syllable mismatch

16 Likes

At Primavera for it but these things are always a bit more subdued in Liverpool anyway iirc

1 Like

Difficult to get too excited about the Jubilee tbh. The royalists get a big awks flag waving party, the old dear gets one last hurrah, everyone else gets an extra bank holiday and a pudding nobody asked for. There’s going to be a brass band playing in my local park and a kids’ picnic, hope the weather’s nice.

hopefully this will be a popular thread and we can then start More Jubilee Awfulness.

11 Likes

i do like the way you used the word Awfulness (as the queen would have wanted if she had still been with us) rather than Shite.

2 Likes

Our kids got almost exactly the same party invite for the same day (last day before half term natch) with a dress code of red/white/blue :unamused:

Even closer to home, one of our neighbours who I don’t know from down the road came by the other week to let us know that they were applying for a street closure permission from the council in order to have a street party on the Sunday :scream: :scream: :scream_cat: Worst nightmare - an army of flagshaggers literally on our doorstep. They then completely pulled it out of the fire by announcing that they were looking for a theme, as obviously no one wanted it to celebrate the actual jubilee and what did we think about making it Earth Day themed or similar…

7 Likes

Real ones know the actual jubilee takes place on 8th July, this year will mark 26 happy years since HM King Francis II first ascended to the throne.

Last year’s silver jubilee was a wonderful celebration, enjoyed by all

13 Likes

I am so glad I no longer work at this place. They have a giant Playmobil man outside the shop at the moment wearing a plastic waistcoat covered in Union Jacks

1 Like

This ship has long sailed, but it still fucking annoys me.

The Platinum Jubilee celebrations are meant to celebrate 70 years of the Queen being on the throne. The Queen ascended to the throne on 6 February 1952. She was crowned more than a year later, on 2 June 1953.

Therefore, having Platinum Jubilee celebrations on 2 June 2022 makes no sense. It isn’t the 70th anniversary of her ascension to the throne, we’ve already had that. It isn’t the 70th anniversary of her being crowned, that’s next year. It’s the 70th anniversary of absolutely fuck all.

(I know that the answer to this is that the whole fucking monarchy is made up nonsense so this is just a drop in the ocean, but still, I’d prefer a lttle bit of internal logic to my pageantry thank you very much)

25 Likes

Get basically none of this in Wales. People are up in arms that the local tesco wanted to put up bunting, which is a bit off when you don’t see the same people protesting y’know genuine injustices, but still funny.

11 Likes

I’m in the office today. I don’t swear when I’m in the office. Even online.

1 Like

This is the kind of date accuracy post i am right here for! Excellent knowledge.

After the running battle i had in the “albums of the millennium” thread, i wish you nothing but the best in your attempt to spread this far and wide.

7 Likes

There’s a little display of jubilee stuff in the big Co-Op by the Uniting Church, and I’m amazed it’s still there tbh

1 Like

Lovely jubilee.

1 Like

are you pronouncing it The queens jubbleys?

2 Likes

Isn’t she jubilee
Isn’t she wonderful

13 Likes

I will do from now on.

1 Like