Judging peoples taste through the medium of polls: TV comedy edition

*post-1995

1 Like

I think if something isn’t gripping you as a story and you’re not immersed, you’re more likely to notice and feel uncomfortable about the more problematic elements, and I don’t think bringing up these concerns is a bad thing in any case, obviously it should come with the tacit appreciation that the films/genres/music/whatever that they like will have problematic elements that they routinely overlook because of their enjoyment of the thing in question

2 Likes

Apu is a deeply dubious character, yes. And also the fact that people can do that Mr Burns / Rothschild thing is quite disturbing. I guess both these aspects weren’t a big deal in 1989 or whatever so we can accept they existed then, but something should have changed now. Not sure HOW the show is still going now really. It seems like most people slate it. I guess it’s moved from being a show that Bush Sr openly disparaged and (I guess) being sort of edgy, to being so mainstream that the people watching it wouldn’t care about that.

It should be called up for racism, etc. definitely, as well as just for being shit now.

1 Like

u wot m8

There are a handful of really good episodes there I guess, but it all started to go wrong once Mr Burns got shot.

The fact 15 storeys high only has 8 votes is making me sad.

2 Likes

Veep

• Obama
  • Trump

0 voters

What Burns/Rothschild thing?

1 Like

This one

people just do nothing

• 1,2,3,4,5 once i caught a fish alive, then i came down with a garage vibe!
  • urgh can’t believe you’d watch something on bbc3

0 voters

Very funny stuff.

Murder in successville

• shit
  • good
  • lives or dies on the quality of the celebrity, but can be great

0 voters

is this any good? it always looked utter wank

PJDN is properly good. Grindah is a bit Brent esque sometimes though

Steves is golden

4 Likes

It lives or dies on the quality of the celebrity guest imo. The richard osman one was very good

Yeah obviously suffers from the fly on the wall documentary style and copying the office a bit. Think it would be even funnier as a sitcom.

Proper good though