Juliet, Naked

Found out today there’s a film adaptation of the Nick Hornby book, Juliet, Naked, coming out, starring Ethan Hawke, Rose Byrne and Chris O’Dowd.

If you’re unfamiliar, it’s prime DiS-bait, about an obsessive, anti-social, forum-dwelling music geek (O’Dowd), who neglects his girlfriend (Byrne) while he focuses on a reclusive alt-rock / country singer-songwriter Tucker Crowe (Hawke), whose classic album, Juliet, is being re-released in a stripped-back format (hence the name).

Apparently Tucker’s music in the film has been written by Ryan Adams, Conor Oberst, M Ward, Robyn Hitchcock and others, so I’m actually quite interested to see / hear it.

Watched the trailer to this, thought it looked awful.

Thanks for reading.

You’re just afraid of seeing yourself in O’Dowd’s character though, aren’t you.

If there’s a quirky bit where he adorkably wins her over with an expertly deployed “Boscoe and Barlon” dialogue then I’m suing Hornby for all he’s got.

That’ll show him for slagging off Kid A

Hmmm - whilst Nick Hornby has been pretty good at adapting other people’s books for film, not sure films of his own books have fared so well, aside from High Fidelity (I hated About a Boy so much I never bothered with the film in fairness)

Rose Byrne is great though.

Dunno, could be

This makes it sound as if Chris O’Dowd ever plays anyone other than Chris O’Dowd.

It’s been a while since I read it, but I remember thinking he caught the atmosphere of a forum quite well. Maybe he used DiS as research.

The book wasn’t very good.

Yeah it was kind of lightweight (and I can’t even remember how it ended) but I liked the atmosphere of it and the idea behind it.

Didn’t have the good soundtrack tho :wink:

Cannot believe Rose Byrne would go out with Chris O’Dowd

came into this thread expecting nudity and i am extremely disappointed

‘Acting’.
I suspect the ending will blow your mind :smiley:

chris o dowd being a powerhouse of the romantic film world is like being in the wrong timeline

Bit of a Hornby apologist but Juliet Naked and the rollerblading one were TURGID.

Hornby is just so… Q Magazine. Have you read that book where he talks about his favourite songs? It’s one of the worst things I’ve ever read. I wrote at length about why I didn’t like it!

Read it here, if you like: http://ninetyeightytwo.blogspot.com/2013/01/dancing-about-architecture-part-1-nick.html

He’s like a superhero for us Irish DiS types maybe.

Think this is the only book of his I’ve read. But I liked both adaptations on Fever Pitch (especially the Jimmy Fallon / Drew Barrymore / Boston Red Sox version) and About a Boy.

I don’t even want to know