July 2018 Film DiScussion thread

Cheers.

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Caught it at a tiny screening nearby and having never previously seen it before, I was completely blown away by it. A total visual overload and mesmerising from start to finish!

Only ended up watching two films so far this year, but this looks right up my street…

has there been any funny films out this year that are good?

Mom and Dad
Blockers

Er…

GAME NIGHT IS LEGITIMATELY HILARIOUS AND JESSE PLEMONS IS ONE OF MY PERFORMANCES OF THE YEAR IN IT.

haha ok i’ll rent it

blockers is so much better than it looks / was promoted. john cena is the best

(Also I’m going to be a real twat and say that Phantom Thread is the comedy of the year because I’m very, very intelligent)

giphy

Just a shout to recommend Ex Libris: The New York Public Library. There are showings this weekend, mostly on Sunday afternoon. It’s Frederick Wiseman’s three hour documentary on all facets of the NYPL and it is bloody wonderful.

The time genuinely whizzes by and you come out of it really energised and keen to volunteer for stuff and help others. It was probably the best film I saw last year at the LFF. It’s fabulous.

Leave No Trace is blimming excellent. Feels like one of those films that is extremely vital to the time and context it’s made in. Kept expecting some nasty villains to turn up a la Winter’s Bone but everyone who they encountered was just really lovely, which makes a nice change. Also I would like to see a spin-off about Chainsaw the Rabbit.

Saw Elle Fanning on my way to the cinema as well which was nice.

Happy Skyscraper day everyone

Incredibles 2 - not as good as the first one obviously and it’s very easy to guess who the villain is but it’s great fun all the same, especially seeing Mr Incredible grow increasingly frazzled as he tries to be a full-time parent

Must-watch film clearly

That tag line!!!

was okay

i don’t like heights so had sweaty palms for quite a lot of it :smiley:

watched Wind River, A Ghost Story and The Faculty.

liked them all

First Reformed

Ethan Hawke was great and the rendition of Everlasting Arms at the end was well done but I think I was expecting more here. And I half expected Earth Song to start playing when they started showing scenes of ecological devastation