July 2018 Film DiScussion thread

Is it worth watching if you’ve seen whitney:can I be me

Seem very similar

I’ve not seen that one, sorry!

It’s on Netflix. It’s flawed but interesting. Not sure there’s enough ground to cover to bother with 2 whitney feature length docs in under 12 months

Oh absolutely, it covers a lot more ground and interviews a lot of the people closest to her (even if the Bobby Brown segment turns out to waste of time). This definitely has a more heart and affection for her, I found Can I Be Me a bit of a freak show tbh opening with the 911 call of her death didn’t help

Oh for sure. Got no doubt that the current one is the better film, just not sure I can be bothered to watch it having seen the first one.

watched the equalizer last night. pretty stupid film but denzel is reliably solid and it looks really good. very silly plot. and i felt pretty uncomfortable with the whole Chloe Grace Moretz storyline after googling it and finding out she was only 16/17 when it was made… why not just cast an older actress?

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1018920018283843584

1 Like

Mamma Mia 2’s got good reviews. Genuinely quite excited.

1 Like

one interesting exercise is to watch the other Paul Schrader written films which form a kind of trilogy (American Gigolo and Light Sleeper) . He has said that he sees them as all having the same main character (not the same person but the same personality in different places). Having said that I’ve not watched either of those 2 for years so I don;t remember them very well

incredibles 2

was decent. not as good as the first one but that’s a pretty high bar.

Pin Cushion

Tonally all over the place and pretty heavy handed tale of school bullying which can’t seem to decide if it wants to be a Julia Davis-like black comedy or gritty drama and falls between the two quite sloppily. Felt overly cynical in its cruelty and I usually get quite triggered when it comes to scenes of bullying in school as I went through so much of it myself. But shades of good stuff in there to be optimistic about what the director does next.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/robtrench/status/1019031405869686784

3 Likes

Yeah, it was amazing. Felt the art direction was particularly strong too - I often found myself looking at the world and feeling that the 50s style was exceptionally consistent. It’s made me really want to get a good book on Saul Bass.

Water is the one thing that Hollywood can render pretty much perfectly in CG now, but it’s really apparent in animated films like this. Moana was another one where it really stuck out as being so good - there’s a mini documentary into how they got it looking so good on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-HG8IA-2TI

1 Like

watched Polytechnique which was well done and Goodbye Dragon Inn which is superb

Yup. Massively.

Reminded me of all the Gerry Anderson stuff I loved as a kid

1 Like

First Reformed

This is way better than I was expecting and surprisingly powerful. Hawke is tremendous and his measured performance makes the more harrowing bits more distressing. Not entirely sure about the ending but still, impressive.

Skyscraper is so ridiculous but I loved it.

actually thought it did a good job in using modern tech to create more dangerous situations

first Imax film Ive seen and it was pointless

2 Likes

why would you post something like that and not include a picture

:grimacing:

Thought Leave No Trace was v good, but didn’t personally quite match all the plaudits it’s gotten. Two leads were dead amazing though.

Just realised that Ben Foster played this character I hated in Six Feet Under, which has cracked me up:

1 Like