July politics thread

Even if it were ten times that, if be surprised if it changed anybody’s mind about how essential it is.

The prime minister said the ship would reflect “the UK’s burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation” post-Brexit.

“burgeoning”? I think not.

Labour’s shadow Treasury minister, Bridget Phillipson, called on the government to show “a real focus on value for money at every stage” of the project and ensure it supported jobs in UK shipyards.

‘Ah, go on then, but I demand a monthly report!’

You could buy 125 Marble Arch Mounds for that :frowning:

3 Likes

just got to be part of the discourse and do an ipsos mori pol.

ed davie who???

1 Like

also kier starmer who

2 Likes

See Mr & Ms Johnson are expecting a 2nd child.

Another Johnson and Johnson baby product

On the phone? I used to be a caller for them.

yeah. call came from edinburgh. quite fun to do them but i’m not sure sure why i was chosen.

For the politics ones, they have age/gender/SEG grade quotas to meet, but the numbers dialled are totally random.

1 Like

journalists are so weird

6 Likes

Rory Stewart was a really strange fellow wasn’t he

The profile also reveals he will be in Jordan for the next two years doing work with his charity (I am certain this is an MI6 type thing)

5 Likes

MI6 must be so useless.

You get the TV film depiction of sharp, serious, hyper competent people in immaculate suits playing 4D chess, when IRL it’ll just be these weird posh horsey inbreds bumbling into things, making fuckups and then just paying people to make the problem go away and having a quiet word with their old school chums in parliament and the press not to make a thing of it.

6 Likes

Like so many other aspects of British society. The real killers on the world stage think it’s a complete joke, some sort of heritage industry thing.

2 Likes

Obviously a warning because Adam Curtis, but this is a fun read

2 Likes

Honestly one of my favourite pieces of Curtis media. He’s much better when he chooses to be focused than going for ‘storyscapes’.

But the ruling classes in Britain laughed at Le Queux. They said it was just fiction - which it was. Plus he wasn’t really British and he hadn’t been to a proper school, he was far too vulgar and insistent in his patriotism. In short he was a bore.

fading into

- and MI5 was set up - created in large part by the dreams of a socially excluded novelist, and the paranoid imaginings of the readers of the Daily Mail.

is a proper Curtis “how the fuck did that last bit connect to spying? oh fuck” moment, even written down.

what an incredible article

Great read, really enjoyed that.

:wave:

:package: this one up and stick it with the others in the loft pls @moderators