June 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

there’s loads of substance tho i was like almost in tears by the end

I came out of it feeling like all the criticism is completely valid and fair, but that I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. Sure, it’s made to a template, but it’s a great template.

Oceans 8 - Fun! Heist films are fun and this was a fun heist film. Anne Hathaway was having a lotta fun with her role. The heist itself was done in a very fun way and it added up to a fun film. Not brilliant or anything but certainly fun.

1 Like

Anne Hathaway was definitely the standout. Helena Bonham Carter’s on-off Irish accent nowhere near as ridiculous as Don Cheadle’s Cockney one alas.

1 Like

I fucking love Anne Hathaway, she’s the best and she was having an absolute ball in this. HBC didn’t bother me as much as she usually does, I thought Cate Blanchett was very flat though. Rihanna was unexpectedly as well tbf, great deadpan.

Rihanna was just playing herself which probably helped. Blanchett and Bullock were just sleepwalking through it. I think the film lacked a Carl Reiner equivalent which was a shame.

1 Like

Yeah, would agree with that actually.

watched In The Fade. first 2/3 are dead giod, last 1/3 not so much

1 Like

The Ciambra - there’s a real drought on in Odeons at the moment (I have the unlimited card) so this was the only option. It was fine, some nice performances from the unprofessional cast but it’s a real slog torwards the end.

Yeah it gets well silly when she Goes to Greece which is a shame because it starts real well

Also I was quite sad the song In The Fade didn’t actually feature in the film because that’s my fav QOTSA song but that’s a very niche gripe

yeah agreed. thought it wouldve been better as a state courtroom piece about the miscarriage of justice. either that or go all out and make it a b movie type picture about the aftermath. when it gets to that bit you mention, its surprisingly dull

1 Like

Huh weird, I didn’t put that together! …you know Josh Homme did the soundtrack? Would be too much of a coincidence for that not to have something to do with the title

Yeah I wasn’t really into the film, I thought a lot of the characters were too over the top to really take seriously and the end really ruined it.

yes, Faith Akin specifically named it after that song

(well in English, in German it’s Aus Dem Nichts which is “Out of Nowhere”)

1 Like

yay

aye was pretty dull.

“hey why don’t we steal some diamonds?” they steal some diamonds. CREDITS.

a bit more of… anything would have been nice. either some jokes or a bit of tension or a bit of witty banter between the gang but nah. and what was james corden doing in this film?

Haha yeah that makes sense. Just never made the connection!

1 Like

Sicario 2 is getting way better reviews than I was anticipating…