june. the politics are still happening. have a nibble.

At the Conservative Party Spring forum on 17 March 2018 and confirmed by party headquarters it was announced that the Tory party has a membership of 124,000. Following a recruitment drive in 2018 the membership increased by 36,000, as reported by the Daily Telegraph last month.

That’s how news organisations come to a current estimate of 160,000 members.

1 Like

Suspending parliament was a suggestion made by Dominic Raab, and he got ridiculed for it last night by the other candidates.

While it has been reported that Johnson has said in private that he wouldn’t rule out suspending parliament, at the official launch of his campaign last week he stated that he was against such a measure. At the same event he also said that he wasn’t aiming for a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

Watched a bit of the debate. Once again I become confused as to how Dominic Raab ends up, again, with people supporting him to be Prime Minister. The guy’s fucking rubbish.

2 Likes

24 Likes

Easy to forget he’s running on a platform of ‘the deal I negotiated was terrible’

5 Likes

be fair, this isn’t just Tories, this is what a lot of Labour MPs and political pundits would like politics to be all the time too

1 Like

With the secondary message of “in the short time I was in Brussels I convinced everyone I was an awful cunt but, yet, I’m still the best man to get a good deal”.

I mean the best line he could come up with against Rory Stewart last night was… comparing him to Nicholas Maduro. Come on.

1 Like

In a personal film for BBC One’s This Week, he picks out one political bloom - Tory Rory Stewart - but says he is in the wrong party and has chosen the wrong side of the Brexit debate.

“he’s great, the only problem is that he has all the wrong opinions and policies”.

great analysis, Dave.

1 Like

‘Tory Rory Stewart’ sounds like a nickname

5 Likes

Sarkar sums the ‘Rory’s wonderful, except for all of his voted-on positions’ thing up really well.

3 Likes

Tom Watson’s just done his big speech then. This one:

I don’t share the same dislike of Watson as many do, but I still feel this is an unhelpful intervention that will most probably end badly.

1 Like

I feel like he’s been making this intervention on a weekly basis for a good 3 months or so - what’s so special about this time?

8 Likes

lol

Doing a big speech that explicitly says “Labour should galvanise around a Remain position”, I guess. Seems to me that he’d have been wiser to (whilst not remain completely silent on the issue) just wait for Conference and see what movements the Membership make. His intervention doubtless makes a more explicit Remain focus less likely, rather than more, given as it’s clearly seen (rightly or wrongly) as an attempt to rinse Corbyn above all else.

1 Like

Tom Watson done a speech has he? He’s saying Labour should adopt a hardline Remain position as a matter of urgency? Seems to be a mostly pointless act to try and undermine Jez? Well I’ll be.

4 Likes

If you had to vote for one

• Boris
  • Cunt
  • Pob
  • Raab
  • Saj
  • Rory the Tory

0 voters

Sorry, you must have forgot the option for burn down Parliament. I assume this was a minor oversight, look forward to the poll being corrected.

11 Likes

also, looking through their voting records - there’s not much between them is there… is that because they are always whipped to follow tory policy?
and because they always follow party lines, they are up to be leader?

Senior Lib Dem MPs including Jo Swinson, the frontrunner to be the next Lib Dem leader, and Ed Davey, the other contender in the leadership battle

oh, so there actually is another contender

This is the first time he’s said that Labour should be explicitly, and solely Remain.

From three months ago up until now, he’s been advocating a People’s Vote.

Before that, he’d been saying that the party should honour the referendum.