Junji Ito

A place to talk about Junji Ito, the celebrated manga artist/writer and his creepy, creepy worlds.

For anyone who’s not familiar you can (and should) read his short story The Enigma of Amigara Fault here (https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Wht7z). Remember it’s a manga, so read right to left from top to bottom.

Pretty good huh?

The only other stuff of his I’ve read is Uzumaki which is fucking incredible and is apparently being made into a TV series. The art style is basically lifted straight from the pages so it looks stunning. Also, Colin Stetson is doing the music which is fucking incredible.

Also read Gyo: The Death Stench Creeps which was solid stuff.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Never come across him before, but I enjoyed that story a lot - thanks for sharing! Might have to check out Uzumaki.

1 Like

I read some of his cat stuff a long time ago, but the horror ones are too much for me, would watch this though his art style is really cool

1 Like

Love him, think he could be described as a Japanese Stephan King and it’d still be doing him a disservice. Can’t really think of anyone else who captures such a wide variety of ideas and monsters within horror.

Also got ‘Gyo: Death Stench Creeps’ the binding for that book is lovely also got Tomie and Lovesick Dead, need to find some compilations of his shorter stories.

1 Like

The hanging balloons stayed with me for quite a while I çan tell you and army of one. Big fan.

1 Like

Glyceride, if you ever want to feel like you need a lot of showers

1 Like

You know how sometimes you are exposed to a piece of media when you are young and impressionable and it kind of burns a hole in your brain and it crops up in your mind every now and then?

That’s my relationship with the Enigma of Amigara Fault.

1 Like

Read Amigara Fault a year or two ago because I kept seeing people on Reddit say DRR DRR DRR. Brilliant stuff.

Just read the first chapter of Uzumaki. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Need to read me some Ito. Got my sibling Uzumaki one Christmas and I kinda wish I’d read it first before giving it away :laughing:

1 Like

Not grabbed you yet? It gets very good.

Oh no, it totally grabbed me. Read chapter 2 as well and had to turn my phone off as I would have been up all night reading it. I couldn’t sleep afterwards.

That was my ‘I’m so disturbed my face can’t adequately express my emotions’ emoji

1 Like

Bloody hell, this manga :open_mouth:

1 Like

@HotBeefTrauma was about to say I still think the dad in the tub in chapter 1 was still the worst thing so far but I’ve just read the mushroom/baby one :neutral_face:

Finished it… that was wild!

1 Like