Just been listening to "Effloresce" by Oceansize

Great album.

4 Likes

Interesting. I listened to it on [checks last.fm] 16th March 2020 and it wasn’t as good as I remembered it being. Sorry Jords.

Few great songs on there but they definitely went on to better. Quite a lot of their albums are a mixed bag for me but Self-Preserved is solid gold.

1 Like

HI

Music for Nurses > Frames > EiP > Home & Minor > Effloresce > Self Preserved…

BYE

25 of the best minutes in music, imho. Treat yourself

Edit: I mean, BYE

2 Likes

Actually I listened to Everyone Into Position not Effloresce! I’m very sorry for misleading everyone

1 Like

Yeah nothing touches it. Just a perfect, complete piece of music. Really hear a lot of Cardiacs in it too. Adios!

2 Likes

Still sounds as fresh today as it did 17 (!!! wtf???) years ago.

Agree that MFN is the high point of their output but it’s all consistently good to great.

Would like to see more love on the Boards for Vennart and British Theatre tho’.

1 Like

Good list, but EiP above Effloresce? Show your working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Their GOAT

2 Likes

That song is one of the best of all time. However, there is quite a bit of filler on that album: Mine Host / The Charm Offensive / Heaven Alive…

The highs are brilliant though (Music for a Nurse / A Homage to a Shame / Can’t Keep a Bad Man Down…)

On the whole, while Effloresce has two bits of filler (Rinsed and Unravel) it is more consistent.

1 Like

Music for nurses was definitely their best. Didnt they blow their budget on it and have to make EiP on a shoestring? Would still go MfN -> EiP -> Effloresce for me. Effloresce is good but too long and has some rubbish bits.

Charm offensive, a homage to a shame and no tomorrow are bangers imo.

Hi mike

2 Likes

Effloresce is still a proper go-to for me - that and those early EPs. Reminds me of seeing them at Big Hands in Manchester and then it soundtracked pretty much the whole of my first semester of uni. I remember not being as keen on Music For Nurses when it came out, but listened to it recently and it’s top init. None of the albums after ever clicked as much. Maybe I should revisit them too.

Vennart’s most recent album is ace though - would recommend!

1 Like

That’s a great track but don’t think the rest of the album matches up to Effloresce

that home & minor EP has some absolute belters on it

3 Likes

Love Effloresce, funnily enough only listened to it myself the other week for the first time in ages, Amputee should be my signature song! :grinning:

4 Likes

Its the one with Amputee on right? Jeez that was a banger

2 Likes

my favourite song of theirs is ‘Long Forgotten’ </3

Saw them touring this at Stoke Sugarmill (supported by Biffy Clyro) was well impressed though never really clicked with any of the subsequent albums