Just did the best wikipedia-based self-diagnosis ever

how did i not know this was a thing??? my life makes so much more sense now, who knew pathologisation could be so liberating. bet a bunch of you have it as well

tl;dr i’m not lazy i have a medical disorder. BUT REALLY.

i take it back, clearly none of my fellow sufferers around

i’m actually extremely excited about this medical legitimization of my poor life habits

Wow, reckon I might have this

Because I’ve noticed that if I have no reason to get up in the morning I’ll pretty much consistently only feel ready to get out of bed between 12 and half 12 in the afternoon no matter what I’ve been doing during the week that necessitated getting up earlier than that. It feels like my BIOS has that time set as its default setting for ‘getting up time’. Always felt like I’ve struggled to get up in the mornings more than other people and this would explain it.

Probably haven’t though

Just wonder why I feel so fucked in the mornings

and the other day someone at uni said they picked the first slot for their meeting (9am) despite there being a whole days worth of slots to choose from and I just couldn’t make sense of it, like why subject yourself to having to get up early when you don’t need to? I chose 1pm

Yeah I’ve got DSPD fuck off

I wonder if there are people whose circadian rhythms are less than 24 hours too, so they just get tireder and tireder at the end of the day, waking up earlier and earlier.

yeah i’m exactly the same. can always get up on time if i have somewhere to be but i can probably count on one hand the times in my life i’ve voluntarily got up before 11 without any pressing reason to do so. feel like most other adults reach a point of adulthood where getting up at 10 counts as a “lie in” which is still utterly alien to me and pretty sure i’m old enough that i’m never growing out of this

People with DSPD generally fall asleep some hours after midnight and have difficulty waking up in the morning.

If they are allowed to follow their own schedules, e.g. sleeping from 3:00 am to 12:00 noon, their sleep is improved and they may not experience excessive daytime sleepiness.

People with DSPD have at least a normal—and often much greater than normal—ability to sleep during the morning

DSPD patients usually sleep well and regularly when they can follow their own sleep schedule, e.g., on weekends and during vacations.

Often people with DSPD manage only a few hours sleep per night during the working week, then compensate by sleeping until the afternoon on weekends.

Patients have little or no reported difficulty in maintaining sleep once sleep has begun.

Occasional noncircadian days may occur (i.e., sleep is “skipped” for an entire day and night plus some portion of the following day), followed by a sleep period lasting 12 to 18 hours.

^^^^ ALL ME

While it’s tempting to diagnose myself with this as well, with a prevalence of 3 in 2000 it seems unlikely that we’ve all got it

probably massively underdiagnosed cos nobody has heard of it and you’d feel like a twat going to the doctor like “i sleep in too much”