Kallgeese listens to 'Brave Faces Everyone' by Spanish Love Songs.

This one’s for you @xylo.

Have been on a massive Springsteen spree recently and am expecting something in that vein from this lot. Prepared my ears by listening to the Galaxy 2 Galaxy comilation from the early 2000s and the first Thundercat album after that. I am READY for some heartland rock now.

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes

It’s only forty minutes long! Great! Too many albums are too long nowadays.

First track is ‘Routine Pain’.

Oh dear, this chap is very earnest. Drummer seems pretty good, lots of snare rolls which I enjoy. The “Let me ruin my guts tonight” bit sounds like Biffy Clyro (an extremely bad thing). Drum production is bad, hate the sound of the toms. Okay, this is a bit like Titus Andronicus but this lad’s voice isn’t great.

Track two is ‘Self-Destruction (As a Sensible Career Choice)’. Now that is a Los Campesinos! song title if I’ve ever seen one.

I really want to avoid snark in listening to this but if this cunt doesn’t stop singing about how “It won’t be this bleak forever” then I’m turning it off. The inevitable music stops/everyone crashes in at once bit. Everything’s really clean in terms of production. Is there a rough edge at all?

‘Generation Loss’ is next up but I’m really struggling to enjoy this album. It seems really tidy and polished. It’d probably work better live if the band loosened up a bit. Guitars sound crap. I think this dude’s lyrics are fine but he’s not selling them.

Think it’s worth getting to the end, but have to be honest and say it’s not going to change massively over the course of the album, it’s very consistent.

2 Likes

‘Kick’.

Bad chorus but the lyrics on this song are actually good. Enjoying the specificity of them. I just don’t think the music matches them. It feels… airless.

‘Beachfront Property’

The fucking state of that drumbeat. Chorus is a huge improvement though. I really didn’t expect this to be so pop punk I think. Can’t get over that musical palette.

I’m halfway through, I can get there!

2 Likes

‘Losers’.

h_y_g is dead right, it’s very consistent. I’m just desperate for them to colour outside the lines for a second but they’re not that kind of band.

‘Optimism (As a Radical Life Choice)’

That song title certainly doesn’t chime with the lyrics so far but I’ll let it slide. Oh, there’s an acoustic guitar! Which adds nothing! Getting really irritated at the sound of the record now tbh. Some barely audible keyboard parts, the same shit guitar sounds and I retract my “the drumming is good” comment.

WE’RE MEDIOCRE
WE ARE LOSERS FOREVER

:heart:

2 Likes

‘Losers 2’

I’m hanging on for dear life now. This is desperately sad music. Singing about how everything’s really bad but juxtaposing it with the polished up sounds of pop punk. Not for me Clive.

Do Rock The Fuck On Forever next

I will after three o’clock tomorrow. Only twenty one minutes!

1 Like

‘Dolores’.

I really don’t care anymore, can this album please fucking end.

1 Like

Sad lyrics happy tunes is the best combo! ABBA built a whole career on it!

1 Like

We don’t have to fix everything at once.
We were never broken –
Life’s just very long.

Brave faces, everyone

2 Likes

ABBA have about fifty hooks per song! And wonderful singers! And the production varies so much and it all sounds LUUUUUUSH!

2 Likes

You mandatorily have to listen to this version now:

^ This version isn’t pop punk

‘Brace Faces. Everyone’.

This is way, way better. Dynamic shifts, drummer kicking off, a faster tempo. An actual singalong chorus! Did they write one good song and go “We need to write an album that leads up to this.”?