Kanye West - thread contains discussion of his racism and sexism.

good this

4 Likes

Nothing amongst these 7 tracks worth revisiting even for a second time. So, so disappointing, especially given how good that Pusha-T album was.

1 Like

Quality of the release aside, thereā€™s some real issues here.

Heā€™s said some abhorrant stuff that canā€™t be excused, which really went up a gear with the Bill Cosby tweet.

People like this should not be supported creatively, when there are people giving it their all in relative fucking obscurity/struggling to make ends meet. And without resorting to trolling and defending total shitbags in an attempt to gain notoriety.

On that note - using mental health issues as a marketing ploy makes me REALLY uncomfortable. Itā€™s framed in a way where it is supposed to excuse Kanye from saying vile and wretched things. Except, having mental health issues isnā€™t an excuse to not have human fucking decency. Especially in this case where he is refusing to accept any wrongdoing or try and learn from it. There are plenty of people out there with really severe stuff going on that do not say this shit.

But itā€™s all a fake display. Heā€™s using mental health difficulties to sell stuff and sell shit, and in the process associating himself with others who have mental health issues. If he really cared he would be using the money/fame to help others, but he only gives a shit about helping himself and for that he can fucking rot.

Sorry for a woke KanyeWest take when all the fucking discourse in the world has been spoken, but wanted to vent this.

8 Likes

Yikes is pretty great imho

lmao wtaf at that first track. truly the worst song iā€™ve heard in years, maybe lil dicky helped him write it.

this album just sounds like heā€™s out of ideas creatively, kinda like his last album. Heā€™s already done better versions of basically every track on here.

2 Likes

Gosh i miss poopdiscoop

2 Likes

Not really sure about your ā€˜mental health issues as a marketing ployā€™ angle tbh.

8 Likes

ā€œCAN WE GET MUCH HIGHER?ā€

turns out the answer was no. goodbye, yeezy

I know itā€™s not a strong connection - but I think there is a connection and it seems really disingenuous to me

Kanye West is a bell end.

Edit - Sorry - that was a very puerile post. But listened to this album after a few beers and it just annoyed me.

I knew that 1st track reminded me of something and thought that surely someone could do better with the music.

Turns out someone already had.

https://twitter.com/ethiopienne/status/1002406078859087872

4 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, I actually donā€™t mind this on first listens, and I donā€™t think itā€™s bad by any means, but itā€™s pretty throwaway in the end. If heā€™d spent half the time he spent fiddling with The Life of Pablo on doing this album properly instead, we might have got two much better albums.

2 Likes

Violent Crimes is basically just a worse version of Nasā€™s Daughters.

Ghost Town is very good imo. And Wouldnā€™t Leave, but thatā€™s mostly because of Young Thug and Ty Dolla.

Rest of it seems fairly throwaway. Lyrically really poor; some nice production but thatā€™s the least you expect from Ye. Basically itā€™s a TLOP annex.

If Daytona is anything to go by then the non-Kanye albums will be the highlights of this Kanye creative streak.

1 Like

Would be kind of funny if every one of these albums heā€™s promised turns out great except his own one

2 Likes

Considering Ghost Town was originally on the Kid Cudi album tooā€¦ Itā€™s already looking far more promising

From a production point of view I quite like the album but the raps have all the depth of a car park puddle, which makes sense considering Yeezy doesnā€™t put as much time and thought into his lyrics (or any of his music) as he used to. I even think with an album like Yeezus, which had a really rushed production schedule, he already had a lot of fully formed lyrics going into it - so it didnā€™t feel incomplete. At least you could give Yeezus the benefit of the doubt for being quite different, and most of the drive for that album came from how harsh and high tempo it was (again Kanyeā€™s production chops). It sounded finished even if the mixing was so-so.

I remember a discussion here a while ago where someone pointed out that they just donā€™t think his heartā€™s in music anymore like it used to be - heā€™s more interested in the fashion and ā€œbrandā€ side of things - and if Pabloā€™s sloppiness suggested that - I think Ye unequivocally proves that.

Itā€™s almost like he noticed all the attention and ā€œmeme-ingā€ of earlier ridiculous lyrics (sweet & sour sauceā€¦) and tried to get away with just taking advantage of that with the new album. Like that was all he needed to have a great track. Even fucking Pitchfork had something of a highlights reel of some of his verses at the end of one of the articles that came out after the listening party. Really plays into the whole generation-of-short-attention-spans thing. I think this albumā€™s gonna age really poorly, it just doesnā€™t have the replay value of his earlier albums because thereā€™s just not a whole lot to dissect. You listen to something like Gorgeous 8 years later and it still sounds relevant - just a little jarring considering the switch-up Kanye has done on his outspoken political beliefs.

Pre-Cosby tweets and lyrics I used to defend Kanye as his arrogance and actions were fairly harmless. You could at least defend the music if not the character of the person. He wasnā€™t hurting anyone. Unfortunately, if you feel you have to constantly defend someone then thatā€™s probably a red flag. I mean, would you go to the same length to defend someone you actually knew in real life to that degree? Perception of talent / accepting shit behaviour is a really strange and hypocritical thing.

You canā€™t talk about this album and ignore his bullshit opinions on the lead up to release. And thereā€™s absolutely no explanation or reflection in the album on his bullshit, dangerous opinions. At least in the past you could expect some soul-searching from Kanye (or at least an attempt at it) but here we just have Kanye referencing it, no further thought. I think a lot of us at least hoped he would clarify or expand on what he meant - but even then the damage is already done.

He just spouts whatever bullshit incendiary thought comes to his head and thinks itā€™s worthy of being listened to because of how highly he thinks of himself. Heā€™s constructed an album that just seems to be an attempt at furthering his brand. Mindless dumb shit. Not the Kanye (at least from his musical output) that a lot of us loved. The worst thing is that in his head he probably thinks that heā€™s breaking boundaries and pushing the envelope yet again. As expected Kanye forums and subreddits on the whole donā€™t seem to mind and are knee-jerk in love with it. Goes to prove that Kanye has well and truly hit that cult of personality status. Doesnā€™t matter what he does, there will always be people who lap it up.

Fuck Kanye, and fuck his indulgent short-sightedness. I hope his offensive opinions come back to bite him. This whole stunt is a massive stain on what was once a great legacy of music.

Iā€™m irked.

41 Likes

Best post Iā€™ve read on here in ages and ages x

3 Likes

Mad how he went from an artist who clearly spent so much time on his work, meticulously working on songs until they were they were as good as he could possibly make them, to rushing out albums with half-baked, regressive ideas. I felt like a big part of Kanyeā€™s appeal as a musician was that you knew you were getting quality, despite his limited range as an actual rapper and his occasionally clunky lyrics. Now it seems like the latter half of his career has been defined by this laziness/heart not in it vibe, and that really bums me out.

8 Likes