Kanye West - thread contains discussion of his racism and sexism.

I am absolutely staggered about the extent of this, and all you hear on the news is migrants. This country is well and truly fucked.

1 Like

We live in a world now where theyā€™ve calculated that even if something does become a big news story - like Barnard Castle - that they just have to deny, ignore, play dumb for a few days until the next big thing comes along and changes public focus. And they are right, it works every time.

5 Likes

Suddenly remembered yesterday he was running for President, thought Iā€™d check on how that was going

Great work

(Thankfully mostly minor states as well)

Given that the whole purpose of it is to get Trump re-elected it is a relief that he doesnā€™t seem to have qualified in any of the marginal states like Wisconsin and Ohio that he targeted.

Could still have an impact in Minnesota and possibly elsewhere unfortunately.

Kanye can walk on water now, which is cool

2 Likes

Kanye pissing on a Grammy award

Heā€™s clearly having an episode at the moment - dozens and dozens of tweets today, veering between contract stuff (heā€™s screencapped every page of his Universal contracts), comparing his contracts to slavery, talking about his sofas, tweeting scripture and sharing the phone number of a guy at Forbes

Regardless of my issues with him I hope he gets the help/medication he needs, because :grimacing:

1 Like

Am I the only person who thinks, ā€œOh fucking hell what nowā€ when I see new posts on the Kanye thread? Really hope he gets help.

2 Likes

Interesting section on this weekā€™s This American Life following the Wisconsin Election Boards Commission discussing whether Kanyeā€™s 1 minute late petition to appear on the state ballot was eligible.

Starts at about 32 minutes in if anyone interested:

https://player.fm/1BDMJHt

Finally some sign of actual music. Beat sounds pretty good but rapping sounds half-arsed. Pretty much as expected then.

The problem with Kanye now is you just canā€™t trust him. Rap is so often all about shouting outlandish in the moment shit, but where a Danny Brown can take that right to the limit of obscenity and still come across as likeable, Ye always feels at best like a ticking time bomb. Like, if I nod my head along with this now, what am I gonna find out I tacitly endorsed next week?

Also, in very a short space of time, heā€™s stacked up a lot of shit-average songs between him and his best stuff. I just think until he vanishes and crafts a real album I couldnā€™t care less, and thatā€™s shocking for me because Dark Fantasy and Yeezus were two of my favourite musical moments ever.

2 Likes

Yeah not sure what would ever make me want to listen to this instead of just listening to Doo Wop instead

1 Like

Drake did it better with Nice For What. And it hurts to say that.

1 Like

Not sure how you can judge it from 30 seconds tbh. Not defending it either, just very little idea how good the track is or otherwise at this point. Also think Nice For What is a duffer and the sped up sample sounds really cheap tbh.

And slightly odd criticism to me when Ye made a career off not-so-subtle samples of massive/classic hits.

2 Likes

Well I agree the rapping sounds half-assed and lazy, so heā€™s not adding anything to the sample - so why not just stick to the original. With something like Touch the Sky heā€™s got great energy and I love the lyrics, so I always go to that over the MG track

No issue with a blatant sample, but not sure heā€™s got it in him as a rapper anymore to elevate songs above their component parts

2 Likes

Sure, I guess I just didnā€™t really have strong reactions to the short clip as you guys. He could just as easily jump into the verse of his life from there (though, at this point, youā€™d admittedly be surprised)

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a friend whoā€™s (still) a super stan, so Iā€™ve probably developed a more negative stance as a result tbf

Understandable. I mean, it is more than likely the music will be shit anyway, and even if it is a return to form, itā€™ll only serve to distract from/enable him being a massive whopper.

1 Like

Heā€™s on the American presidential ballot, one of my work mates was doing her postal vote, and there he was.
So he can get in the sea.

1 Like