Kate Bush exposes a lot of what’s broken with music industry

1 Like

Don’t really understand what could be seen as ‘broken’ about the industry about this whole thing. Younger people tend to gravitate towards music made by young people as they have throughout history and typically have little respect for what’s gone before, which is great. The only reason the Kate Bush has hit is because of stranger things. The fact that the song is actually a plot point and explicitly mentioned by name only strengthens it - the writers of the show guaranteed it being a hit by writing it in.

I don’t think it’s that people are ‘discovering’ Kate Bush, they’re just listening to that song from stranger things. Doubt most will listen beyond the one song. Don’t think it’s any deeper than something being recontexualised as current by being associated with a popular culture moment. If it was just played on the radio it wouldn’t have had the same impact same as countless advert/tv songs before it.

Not sure it’s something that requires much analysis.

2 Likes

It’s undoubtedly a problem. I subscribed to Q for over 20 years but I got maddened at their insistence on having a Gallagher brother feature (and mention on the cover) virtually every month. Eventually I stopped subscribing for that reason, about six months before it died. I read later that by featuring one of them on the cover, sales were much higher, which at least meant people bought it and would hopefully read the other content too. But eventually that route leads to stagnation.

1 Like

Welcome to the boards!

But seriously, we have threads about the right way to slice tomatoes [probably], this is a fine thing to discuss as well (edited cos it sounded like I was bad-mouthing tomato slicing threads and I didn’t mean to do so)

1 Like

Lengthways.

5 Likes

Glad to see that my absence has raised the average thread quality

2 Likes

Tomato tomato I guess

1 Like

To be fair, I once started a thread entitled “which geographical direction does your bedroom window face?” so @wikihock has a point.

2 Likes

West.

I mean, I love the threads about tomatoes and windows and stuff, so keep it coming!

1 Like

Hi :wave:

3 Likes

The hounds of love are tories

1 Like

Love my guitar lessons, really happy to be paying my teacher too cause he’s a top dude. Though 3/4s of every lesson is just chatting bollocks, there is a bit of knowledge imparted and I’m getting better :raised_hands:

1 Like

It’s safe to say Kate Bush is giving the music industry a good kick up the arse!

3 Likes

Read em and weep!

This sounds like a marketing/editorial clash more than anything tbh, tail wagging the dog. Marketing should have been pushing retention of customers as well as (or as a priority over) acquisition of new customers.

With a physical magazine, that’s understandable. Within an online publication, it should be much more possible to tailor the site-experience and content to individual users - especially if users are happy to have log-ins.

1 Like

By contrast, putting Marissa Nadler and EMA on our homepage most weeks didn’t lead to them becoming household names but I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Definitely something wrong with a magazine if it takes the cover to sell it rather than it being a reliably good read.

1 Like

That kinda thing is really hard to do. Probably a bit easier now but would require quite a volume of articles.

When I worked at the Beeb there were so many complaints about needing to login to the free BBC Sounds app but it makes a homepage in the app that is personalised and does auto play. Can imagine people would be similar about logging into DiS - just look at the views per thread vs replies, often lotsa lurkers reading but not posting.

Yeah, I’m sure it was a lot harder a few years ago

The technology has come on a lot though, you don’t need to be logged in to be recognised these days. I mentioned being happy to have log ins because that’s always going to be a better way to do data gathering on demographic stuff. Personalisation in site experience is pretty huge, particularly in ecomm. Today you’d probably have a much easier time of it.

1 Like

Would just need to find £500 per day to pay a coder to design it :person_facepalming: