Keeping pets cool in the heat 🐶 🐱 🧊

Have a couple of tips from when I worked in the pet shop so happy to start :slight_smile:

Oops pressed send too soon!!

Cats are my main jam and cause they’re originally from the desert they’re pretty good at coping with hot weather and also know how to sniff out the colder spots.

Obviously things like ice cubes in their water, freezing licky treats, cooling mats (you can get these on Amazon and are great cause you don’t need to put them in the freezer or anything, they work with pressure so will be cooler the more weight is on them).

Wetting your hands in cold water and rubbing them down can help.

This is more dog centric but if they have any toys that are rope, plunge them in water and then put them in the freezer and they’ll chew away on a nice cool toy.

I’ll add as I think of more but a good thread for people to add to I think!! Thanks @GentleGiant for the idea!

6 Likes

FROM WHERE MATE?

1 Like

i’ve been putting ice cubes in Bones’ waterbowls. he’s also not allowed outside on the balcony, but tbh, he takes a sniff of that hot air and comes in anyway.

1 Like

Yeah silly goose pressed send too quick :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been putting ice cubes in the cats water bowls. But all it does is too tempt Luna to hit them and splash the water everywhere.

Yesterday I ordered a self cool mat for them to lie on, should arrive tomorrow hopefully. What her they will use it is another matter.

1 Like

Towel in the fridge/freezer for them

1 Like

1 Like

Dory didn’t love hers last year, I think cause they’re a slippy texture and shes disabled in her back legs she was like WOAH DO NOT LIKE.

This year I’m gonna spray it with calming spray and put one of her blankets over the top I think

More drink stations, so they have one in every room

1 Like

This isn’t really relevant but amuses me when I think of the time I took my dogs boss out for a walk (because she was jumping on me meaning she needed to go out) but it was raining so after a few steps she just sat down like “you can fuck off if you think I’m walking in this”.

2 Likes

Don’t know if my cats are smart enough to know when they’re too hot. They are basically lying under table in kitchen (their normal spot is on the benches in kitchen) and just refuse to move. So am running the aircon unit and directing it right at them, at great expense.

2 Likes

Bella has a little shady spot in the garden, she’s not silly.

7 Likes

Oh, dory has both wet food and biscuits and instead of it being 50/50 I’ve changed it to 70 wet/30 biscuit cause that’s how they get most of their water intake

Luna and Bella love water. They get through a dog bowl sized one every day.

1 Like

:grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve got this fan specifically for the cat

and I thought SHE was spoilt :smiley:

Tbf if they’re basking in the sun they’re probably loving it

1 Like

Oh wow

1 Like

Oooh clever cats!! Dory is alright at drinking but some cats are terrible tbf

1 Like

I’m sure everyone here knows not to walk your dogs in the day time but bloody hell I saw out of my window someone earlier walking their little flat faced monstrosity (no offence to the dog, full offence to the breeder) and I nearly shouted how they can barely breathe as it is and also they’re probably getting burnt paws and also you’re an idiot

1 Like

My tortoise is a solar powered nonsense machine so I’m Imagining she’s going to love it but I’m going to give her a bath tomorrow cos that’s how she takes on most of her water.

1 Like