Kelly Lee Owens

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

I really like the John Cale track!

5 Likes

Liked this but didn’t grab me as much as the first album so far. The more club sounding instrumentals are strong again but don’t think the vocal tracks are as catchy as the first album. Still good though.

1 Like

Don’t think this is a patch on the original but I will dissent and say I quiet enjoy the John Cale tune

Dunno if this will be of interest to many people here as it’s a lot more ravey than her own work (full-blown jungle at the end) but this mix is bangin’:

John Cale tune

• Good
  • Bad

0 voters

One of my favourites off what I feel is another very strong album from KLO.

1 Like

i think it is my favourite. on first listen it stood out but was then overtaken by Nights, but second time round it’s really stuck with me

also helped that i walked home in pouring rain yesterday and i just had “the rain, the rain, the rain, thank God the rain” stuck in my head

1 Like

I’m still torn as to which is my favourite for sure but Cale’s deadpan delivery really hits the sweet spot for me and then when he transitions into intoning the lines in Welsh it just becomes borderline hypnotic.

Absolute chefs kiss way to hear it!

1 Like

Only had chance to listen to the album a couple of times but really enjoying it. For me has St Etienne vibes - mixes those 90s club beats with somehow having a hint of melancholia. I think there have been tonnes of slightly downtempo club type albums from the 90s onwards so maybe it’s a bit of a throwback or maybe if you know that stuff really well it doesn’t seem special but nothing from those scenes has ever really connected for me so I’m liking this a lot.

Actually I’m getting dejavu on what I just wrote so I probably said something pretty much the same for the first album.

1 Like

I like the John Cale tune and the bangers, but I’m not keen on the more midtempo vocal stuff.

Think overall this might be the biggest disappointment of the year for me considering how much I absolutely loved the first record. I don’t think it’s bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s maybe a 6 or 7/10 at most for me.

1 Like

Yeah I’m with you. This and Yves Tumor for me as disappointments.

KLO first record had such a unique quality to it, it was so hard to pin it down. But yet it flowed really well, didn’t feel all over the place.

This one feels a lot more formulaic. It’s technically good but has lost the magic.

1 Like

I’ve decided that it sounds like it belongs on the Stranger Things soundtrack

I like a lot of the tracks in isolation but don’t feel it works together much as an album for some reason.

2 Likes

I’m late to this party because my vinyl copy got held up and I wanted to wait. This album is really very excellent.

1 Like

I think it works a lot better on vinyl with it broken up over 3 sides. One of my favourites this year for sure.

1 Like

Will echo the people who don’t really get this. I think the idea of this kind of album, and an artist like her, is maybe more enticing or interesting than the actual end product.

Like the first one, it sits in an indecisive space between bangers and ethereal pop stuff and subsequently doesn’t do either that amazingly. It’s fine but faceless.

i like this album quite a bit more than the first tbh

6 Likes

The fact that she works in those liminal spaces between pop, dance floor music and intellectual electronica is what makes her really interesting to me.

7 Likes

Back from holiday (Suffolk - had a lovely time, thanks for asking) to find the white vinyl waiting for me. So far, it’s pretty lovely :+1:

8 Likes