Kill Yr Vinyl

Looking at my record collection now, like I just have, the whole thing is sanitised. They are all in poly sleeves. They are all as clean as they can be. They are all in a nice record box, or two, or three and on and on…

I do play them, of course I do, BUT… I remember destroying Land Speed Record by Husker Du as a teenager. Not only played to death but I would use it, with LP inside to stick my Quickshot II controller plunges on. It snapped as I battled some game I forget on the ZX Spectrum… but, no regrets.

If you love a record, get the most out of it, even if that means destroying it, do not treat it as a trophy. My copy of Reign In Blood, in its completely battered state means more to me than a pristine copy.

Kill Yr Vinyl…

2 Likes

I could never do this sort of thing.

1 Like

The way costs are today, gonna try to keep them healthy.

4 Likes

I agree they should be played rather than just looked at, but that doesn’t mean you don’t look after them and treat them well. If you have a nice sports car for example, it’s good to go out for a blast but it’s also good not to scrape it against kerbs and give it a good wash and polish now and again.

Use, no need to abuse. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Probably playing Hungry Horace.

Even my most used and loved CDs from my youth are in good condition.

You knacker them and they don’t play properly.

Can’t afford to replace everything just because I’ve handled them bad for no reason.

But if it makes you happy you should totally do it.

3 Likes

Wasn’t there an Aidan Moffat record that didn’t come in a sleeve so it would degrade?

And then of course there’s the Durutti Column’s debut album which came in a sandpaper sleeve to destroy neighbouring records (after a tactic used on magazines by the Spanish situationists that they take their name from)

2 Likes

I get it (and was guilty of it) back in The Day, but now there are commonly only (say) 250 copies of a piece of art that was probably recorded digitally, I feel responsible for 1/250th of what is almost definitely going to be the only playable medium in (say) 100 years.

Look after 'em!

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d go quite that far. I’ve always tried to look after the actual vinyl. When I was a kid records were precious - I could only afford one a month at most and getting one would involve a two hour round trip to the nearest town with a record shop. They were literally the only way of hearing music I liked - there was no streaming (obviously) but no 6Music or anything like it either. If I fucked up a record I wouldn’t be hearing that music again.

That said, I do slightly miss the fact that I played those records so much that the sleeves ended being held together with sellotape.

3 Likes

Loads of my cds are absolutely fucked as I would carry them round in my satchel whilst my discman was glued to my ears (true fact I invested in wanker on ear headphones long before it became a thing) and they were things I wouldn’t be separated from. The amount of cds I’d bring back from uni for holidays was insane. I don’t think the car does them much good either.

But I have a very tolerant CD player at home now and they’re a diary of sorts, full of letters from mates and all sorts of stuff.

Started collecting vinyl in probs 2002 and actually the collection is in ok nick apart from a few that come out when the night looks it isn’t going to end at a sensible time. Lots of loose tobacco and an odd smell emanating from that section :smiley: Mum and dads records that I’ve inherited are mostly like my cd collection but again my deck is massively forgiving.

Regretfully "killed’ my cd collection years ago by not looking after them properly. The ones left in best condition are ones I wouldn’t I probably wouldn’t play now, which is a bit sad tbh. Trying to atone by looking after my vinyl.

1 Like

Always surprised how well most of the records I bought as a student have held up, don’t feel like I particularly took care of them.

Am fairly meticulous these days mainly just to keep them organized, hopefully not ott.

CD cases just always seemed to get damaged at some point.

1 Like

An admirable position but I don’t agree. In the past I have been obsessed with keeping things mint and pristine (often to my detriment). Handling objects carefully is an occupational hazard for me but I’ve long since abandoned the concept of sourcing everything mint, there’s too much good used stuff out there - e.g. you can buy several decent condition used CDs for the cost of one new one. However it still saddens me to see a rare out of print title that has been used a cat toy.

I’ve got a ridiculous “record player” called a Vinyl Killer that I must have been bought about 15/20 years ago.

I found a thing about it here:

It’s basically a battery powered toy van with a needle in the bottom and a speaker built in. And yes, it kills your vinyl, and yes, it sounds as shit as you’d expect. Who knows where it is these days. Probably in a box in the loft

1 Like

This is the chap

I want to release it with no sleeve. There are a few ideas here. Firstly, I don’t want a pristine, digital document that could last forever; I want the music left to the elements, I want it to live and scar, with each record’s acquired crackles, pops and scratches making them unique and identifiable to their owners. And while the natural thing to do with a naked record is protect it, I think it could be interesting to see how folk respond when we hand that responsibility over. Also, the sleeveless LP will look like one of those dusty, vulnerable strays you find in charity shops

4 Likes

I’ve covered all of mine in dog shit, which wasn’t easy as I don’t have a dog. When friends come to my house and say ‘why does it smell like dog shit over by your records, you don’t have a dog?’ I just roll my eyes. They’ll never understand!

3 Likes

I think PiL’s debut album came in a sandpaper sleeve! So when you pulled the vinyl out for the first time it would scratch it!

I have one of these

It was ‘The Return of the Durutti Column’ - the sleeves were allegedly assembled and glued by Ian Curtis.

All of Joy Division, at Tony Wilson’s flat, watching filthy videos, according to Tony Wilson’s autobiography

1 Like