Kind of odd how there are no contemporary indie male solo artists who are any good

Probably should’ve stated that by contemporary i mean more ones that have broken through in the last couple years

Ummmm, ever heard of this guy called Mac DeMarco?

Welcome to the boards!

No I haven’t

4 Likes

Ezra Furman is (was?) gender fluid. Doesn’t count.

Not that new but the last Chad Vangaalen album from last year seemed to be ignored and was really good.

Also A. Savage

1 Like

Does Richard Dawson count?

1 Like

No sir. As above, I meant people on their first album or who have otherwise broken through recently (so you could argue Julia Holter shouldn’t be on my list. Gwenno should’ve though)

Connan Mockasin

2 Likes

Kane Strang.

1 Like

Lol

So, additions;
Gwenno
Douglas Dare

50/50 on including Ian William Craig. He’s great but dunno if he fits the criteria

1 Like

Douglas Dare is very good. Looking forward to another album from him next year hopefully.

My two favourite chaps from this year are:

Sam Vance-Law and his debut album Homotopia. Mostly quite poppy and catchy like The Divine Comedy back in the 90s. Although he also has a couple of nice sad songs which are good too:

and Jonathan Bree and his new album, Sleepwalking, is pretty cool:

Mac Demarco?

(waits for the lols)

Jimothy Lacoste

3 Likes

Blood Orange obv

2 Likes

John Grant
Matt Elliott
Micah P. Hinson
Peter Broderick
Douglas Dare

Not odd at all. In fact, I was sorely tempted to simply post “*have never been any”, but Beck and Sufjan Stevens gave me pause

This thread: there’s no-one good

Dis users that think there is someone good: There’s someone good, and there’s this someone who is good too

This Thread: No they aren’t good

I’ve accepted Douglas Dare.

1 Like