Kind of odd how there are no contemporary indie male solo artists who are any good

Yes! Saw him at green man and he was fab!
His sister, Heather Woods Broderick, is also fab but, alas, ineligible for this thread.

2 Likes

Despite being ineligible for thread, iā€™m giving this a like as Heather Woods Broderick is fantastic!

2 Likes

just came to the board to talk about the newish Damien Jurado album and this was the first thread available

Exceptional album!

1 Like

there was an enjoyable bit of ā€œno not that kind of contemporary indie male solo artistā€ back at the beginning too i thought

This could go in the 2018 bangers thread but is better served here.
https://soundcloud.com/guspyy/anchor

Thereā€™s a wealth of decent indie male solo artists, and of course another vote for ya boi Mac DeMarco.

The track of his used in that montage during Wild Wild Country was one of my moments of the year.

1 Like

He heā€¦ā€˜Ooooh if youā€™re going to bring up thooose kind of contemporary male indie artists!ā€™

I was kind of in agreement with ya

Then as I scrolled through the thread and shook off the morning cobwebs I realized how incorrect a statement this is.

To clarify (again);

Artists that are new or have only just had any recognition.

Updated list;
Julien Baker, Mitski, Tomberlin, Julia Holter, Kathryn Joseph, Kississippi, Haley Henderickx, Gia Margaret
vs
Meilyr Jones, Alex Cameron, Douglas Dare

Iā€™d 8-3 be a fan of contemporary indie male solo artists right now!

Iā€™m surprised how many people see Mac DeMarco as a leading light of our time

3 Likes

He was playing here last night, I considered going along as I donā€™t mind some of his stuff but it sold out. Friends posted several video clips on instagram and the crowd seemed to be loudly and enthusiastically singing along to actually every word of every song. Kind of baffling.

Heā€™s alright though, but that last album was a bit dull.

1 Like

I donā€™t mind him either but donā€™t get the fuss at all. A decent soft rock songwriter buoyed by a cult of personality

1 Like

Heā€™s a lifestyle / fashion celebrity for people my age as well. Its really quite boring at this stage

1 Like

Him and Tame Impala are mentioned a staggering number of times in the screenshots on this instagram page

https://www.instagram.com/beam_me_up_softboi/

3 Likes

Hilary Woods should probably be on there actually. Was the one this year her first solo album?

I still missed off Gwenno too what am I like

Think sheā€™s had a couple of EPs in the past but Colt is the first full length

Its just strange how music very quickly becomes a uniform for people - ā€˜i like two artists and i play toploader at partiesā€™

1 Like

What counts as indie now

Well I suppose thereā€™s Christian Fitness

1 Like