King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

This actually piqued my interest, lol.

I started listening to KG with Quarters! in 2015 and was heavily invested through their run of albums in 2017, most being really good, but then felt pretty burned out and since then have only listened to Infest the Rats’ Nest (which was fine but not wholly necessary). Fishing for Fishies didn’t seem like my thing based on the first single. I heard a few tracks from the K.G. and L.W. albums when shuffling my wishlists the last couple of years, but feeling burned out by their proficiency and seeming like they just throw anything out there, I just haven’t bothered listening to any recent albums. And honestly hearing that they’re done so many genres in this new album makes me a little scared, as does the 80 minute runtime, but hmm. I’m here so obviously I’m a little curious.

2 Likes

You would think that the different genres would be a disaster but it’s what makes it flow weirdly. It’s like listening to a radio station where each track blends into the next. Dive in. You won’t be disappointed. Before Butterfly 3000 I felt that the quality was somewhat diluted due to the amount of albums they had released but this album has so much personality and so much character it kinda draws you in and reveals itself more over multiple listens.

1 Like

Always thought these guys were amazing live but I only usually listened to the albums once or twice. I agree that this one is their best though. On paper a double album with them rapping on sounds awful but it’s so consistently good and the genres change so much it’s impossible to get bored.

2 Likes

The new album is really decent and was thoroughly surprised how well it flows / sequences considering all the genre hopping - kinda glad we didn’t get another full on thrash release or an out and out hip hop record though tbh. Dripping Tap and Magenta Mountain is just a jaw dropping opening one-two, both of which reward more with each listen.

Admittedly also felt a bit burned out by Gizzard after 2017 like @jeromium mentions but with K.G, L.W and Butterfly 3000, they’ve slowly been drawing me back into their world again and I’m falling in love with this band all over again. Those records are a bit more consistent and focussed compared to Omnium Gatherum but that was probably always going to be the case when this was a double album. I reckon if anything this album reminds me a bit of a more fleshed out and realised Gumboot Soup which is also a grab bag of styles but this deffo works much better.

2 Likes

Does everyone love Dripping Tap then? Seems like their most boring side to me. Will try the rest of the album today, if only to pluck out the Balloon/Fishies/Butterfly melodic stuff

Enjoying this new one, bar the two rap songs. Amazing how their lyrics can still be so totally shit even after all these years.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

their worst stuff imo

must give the new one a spin tomorrow

We’ll split the album in half and you can have the breakneck widdling

1 Like

Please also take the hip hop

1 Like

Return to Balloon and Butterfly a lot but couldn’t get on board with Fishies at all. @Gert think Dripping Tap is just another terrific psych epic which they do very well indeed.

Had K.G on earlier and this is a total monster!

1 Like

Don’t mind Balloon in small doses, didn’t really get the fuss around Butterfly and actively hated Fishies

1 Like

Think I like all the Kinks-y influences on Balloon but understand it can be a bit saccharine. Butterfly, in mind, is a perfectly sequenced bright and bouncy indie pop which is incredibly catchy and earworm-y. Only listened to Fishies once or twice but all I could hear was the riff to Spirit in the Sky being weaved into every song…

1 Like

Can’t say that boring was my immediate thought when listening to Dripping Tap

2 Likes

It is cool that their workrate means even if you’re not into a bunch of their stuff you still get an album you really like every couple of years

5 Likes

Think this is my AOTY so far. Cannot stop listening to it.

My introduction to the band really, had heard Rattlesnake on the radio but hadn’t gone any further than that. Now I’m head first into the Gizzverse rabbit hole.

3 Likes

My suggestions for further reading:

I’m In Your Mind Fuzz
Nonagon Infinity
Murder of the Universe
K.G.
Butterfly 3000

Then if you’re still on board listen to everything else. Polygondwanaland and Flying Microtonal Banana are both ace but wouldn’t put them in the same bracket as the above.

4 Likes

Great suggestions, although I would put Polygondwanaland up there, it’s one of my favourites!

3 Likes

Gumboot Soup has a similar grab bag approach to their styles as the new one and is really good

1 Like

@Mistersteve @schadenfreude @Gert

Cheers for these guys. Already dipped into a couple of them :+1:

i would put this in the holy trinity along with Nonagon and Mind Fuzz

4 Likes