King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

So that’s four down. Reckon they’ve got a Christmas album up there sleeve??

FTFY

My guess is 31st December, one minute before midnight AUS time

Class! Looking forward to this now.

Polygondwanaland is out now! Polygondwanaland | King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

3 Likes

Seems pretty good so far!

1 Like

The spirit of Brian Pern is strong on this album! I mean that as a good thing.

So what does everyone think of the album?

Of the ones released this year I would rank them as follows…

1. Murder of the universe
  2. Polygondwanaland
  3. Flying microtonal banana
  4. Sketches of Brunswick east

Crumbling Castle is an absolute beast

the rest of the album is a bit up and down i think, some very good songs towards the end but a lot of tracks that are so far a bit unmemorable for me, compared to the consistency of FMB. still enjoying listening to it a lot though.

I thought the five albums in a year was a good gimmick at the time they announced it…but…

Can’t be arsed with a new record right now. Still digesting the three released already tbh

next album due around christmas or early next year

FMB > MotU(pt1&2) > Polygondwanaland > Sketches > MotU(pt3)

tbh - i don’t think another one this year is needed! I’m talking about the fifth one coming

really enjoying Polygondwanaland - i think it’s got the right mix of jazzy and rocky psych Gizz for me. I actually think this one should have been a proper release, maybe instead of Sketches?

anyway, I’m forever that they play by their own rules - good on them! Not long now til GIZZFEST

gizzfest

there are a few enterprising folk doing some vinyl presses as well

I signed up for this one - Deluxe Charity Vinyl of King Gizzard's "Polygondwanaland" by Brandon Bogajewicz — Kickstarter

1 Like

So far:

1. Murder of the Universe
  2. Sketches of Brunswick East
  3. Polygondwanaland
  4. Flying Microtonal Banana (can’t get into this album at all - just really boring imo)

I’d go pretty much the opposite myself. Banana is my favourite hands down. ‘Open Water’ in particular is a superb song.

3 Likes

I reckon that if they hadn’t had this ‘5 albums in a year’ plan to stick to, the latest release would be the ‘Crumbling Castle EP’ and we’d all be loving it.

It’s funny how different ears work.

The problem I have with FMB is that the songs are long but don’t really go anywhere (Open Water being a good example, as is Rattlesnake). Could easily trim them down and make a far better/focussed album (and this is coming from someone who enjoys prog).

I find it one of their most focused and consistent. I like the more relaxed krautrocky pace, I find some of their more relentless stuff like Nonagon Infinity a bit samey (I’m In Your Mind Fuzz is incredible though)

Polygondwanaland is great! Captures a lot of their diverse sounds in one record and pushes in a few new directions. I wanted them to do a record like this. Also the production is better, I find some of their more rocky stuff a bit flat but this has punch to it.

Polygondwanaland
Sketches
Banana
Murder