Kitchen design thread

wankers
design
diy

:smiley:

tbh this has been a massive learning curve for us and yeah we’ve made a few mistakes w/r/t communicating stuff with the builder and we will learn for next time. My assumption, though, regardless, would be that he should “make good” anything that he damages or needs to remove for the purposes of fitting the kitchen (maybe this isn’t right? idk). Half of the internal door frame has disappeared; there’s a huge chunk been cut out of the indoor bit of the external one (from where he removed the cupboards), skirting boards have gone and he’s just… left it, and it looks totally shit. He’s not even bothered replying to the long email we’ve sent about it. Fucksake.

Nah. There’s slight settlement in the property and it’d be a bad idea apparently.

There is foam underlay, but you tread in this specific area and it sort of gives way, almost breaking the bond of sealant between the edge of the floor and the door frame?

We went for tiles that look like polished concrete:

https://www.johnson-tiles.com/catalog/range/street/

Ours doesn't have sealant. There's a beading all the way round and then metal door frame edges at doors but then you put the flooring down after the cabinets so I'm not sure how it's meant to work in a kitchen. I guess @marckee's comment that the plank might need to be shortened slightly could be right?

He has a responsibility to make good if that's what you agreed beforehand.

And don't be too stressed about him not replying to an e-mail barely a day after being on site. Lots of tradesmen will do their paperwork and things like that at the weekend or on one evening a week.

Yeah, they're okay. I don't mind tiles at all. I mean my PERFECT (joke) kitchen floor is probably 10cm of foam so that any plates I drop don't break but the wife's cousin has a house in Brisbane with a smooth polished concrete floor over the whole kitchen and it's really nice. I like our tiles a lot but I don't really like the grouting in the floor at all, I think a single smooth surface is best.

Builders always take ages replying to email, or just ignore them. Always give them a ring.

From a hygiene point of view, a single surface is better because of the lack of joints/grouting, but in a domestic kitchen it doesn't really make that much difference (you rarely see floor tiles specified in new commercial kitchens, school changing rooms or hospitals, however).

Smashing plates is annoying, but chipping tiles is even worse. That's why I would always go for porcelain tiles in a kitchen rather than ceramic.

KITCHENY BITS:

I need some kind of tea towel hanging solution / washing up bowl / drying rack / probably other bits. It's still fucking IKEA for these isn't it, goddamn it.

Or Lakeland, or Betterware.

You've just bought your first home. You therefore have to accept that you will be bonded to Ikea for the next year. It's the law, why fight it? You can take comfort though in the fact that after that year you'll never go back there again.

I love this shop

They are in Brighton - but they do mail order

http://utilitygreatbritain.co.uk/shopping/

I do like IKEA but it's a bit of a ballache to get to now we've moved. WHY ISN'T THE GREENWICH ONE OPEN.

also things like washing up bowls and stuff you can get in B&Q or homebase. Or a big tescos or asdas, or a wilkos

That will soon change.

Nah, I've been there bloody loads before haven't I.

You know what's really handy for kitchen bits? Amazon. Have you ever used Canopy.co? It's a curated list of stuff that you can buy on Amazon. So prices are usually decent and you can then get them delivered more easily than yer IKEAs or yer Lakelands. Has quite a few gems on there for the kitchen...

I also get the odd bit from Muji, and maybe Goodhood or SCP if I'm feeling flush (so never).

Bit obsessed with these tiles that were on DIY SOS (tweeted them to find out where they're from). Any ideas?

They're a bit like this, but the colour isn't right:

https://www.johnson-tiles.com/catalog/range/avoir/

The look similar to ones I saw in Topps Tiles but I can't find any from a cursory glance.