Knitting 🧶 (also crocheting and etc)

Have been seeing some special techniques for reinforcing heels and such, might try it out sometime. Tend to use reinforced yarn (with like 15% synthetic material) for socks as well though, but even that is no match for a nail or two of course :frowning:

And thanks, will have a look at that pattern!

1 Like

Working on these now. Been wanting to knit them for ages and then one of my ATDs has just come out as gay. PERFECT.

I have to concentrate very hard to follow the pattern, no watching tv or anything! Catch myself pulling the weirdest faces when something is extra tricky :joy: Still room for improvement tension wise, but still seeing everything as practice tbh. And they will be fine, just a quick wash and stretch afterwards. Using merino wool as well which is very stretchy and flexible.

8 Likes

These are KILLING ME :joy: Think maybe merino wasn’t the best choice for this sort of thing after all. Trying out a few different techniques for a good result and have gone back and started over SO many times. I will get there eventually but might take a break from the killer gay mittens for a few days

2 Likes

Finally started on the red

6 Likes

Lost all enthusiasm for my quilt now its nicer weather, haven’t touched it for ages, maybe I’ll try to just do a square every other day and have it done for next autumn :woman_shrugging:t2:

Meanwhile, wanted to do something with my hands on a work call today so I made this wonky little, very imperfect snail

8 Likes

PERFECT snail. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Cute!

I’ve started looking forward to meetings as an opportunity to crochet during the work day

3 Likes

It helps me focus too, I wish it was acceptable in meetings back in an office environment

3 Likes

I’ve almost finished the second sleeve for my purple sweater, about to join the sleeves and main body together (hopefully tonight, maybe tomorrow) and then start the fun part! Very exciting.

3 Likes

The thing with socks is you’ve just got to find the right numbers that work for you. Took me about 4 pairs I think to get a decent fit and bullet proof gauge which make holes less likely. I do 72 stitches on 2.25mm and generally cuff down with a heel flap and gusset. Sometimes do an afterthought heel, not a fan of short row heels but its all personal preference. Love me some fancy hand dyed speckled merino nylon but you can’t beat German sock yarn of the Opal/Regia variety. You can machine wash them and they last for years. Unless you get snagged by a bloody nail of course.

This is a good vanilla sock pattern Ravelry: How I Make My Socks pattern by Susan B. Anderson

1 Like

Putting these three pieces on the same needle now :grin::grin::grin:

6 Likes

Omg you guys it’s really coming together. Can’t wait to show you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Made this babe for M’s cousin.

10 Likes

Omg i love it. What a cutie

1 Like

I don’t want to post it, but similarly I don’t want to make another. That said it wasn’t as fiddly as most toys I’ve made.

Hah I’ve had that with gifts I’ve made too.

Post it and tell yourself you can make another at some unspecified point in the future if you still want one.

Did you ever find that one of M’s that got lost on a walk?

Hilda! Yes. The cat had buried it under his blankets in his cat tower that he never uses! What a little douchbag he is, he’s never done anything like that before. M must have been really annoying him that day.

2 Likes

Oh good! Glad she turned up. And err, glad the cat is getting some use from her as well?

1 Like

Ha! Not humping, he’s utterly asexual. Just a jealous rage I think

Haha i didn’t mean that, just that he’s developed a secondary use for it as a means of revenge!

1 Like