Knitting 🧶 (also crocheting and etc)

The thing with socks is you’ve just got to find the right numbers that work for you. Took me about 4 pairs I think to get a decent fit and bullet proof gauge which make holes less likely. I do 72 stitches on 2.25mm and generally cuff down with a heel flap and gusset. Sometimes do an afterthought heel, not a fan of short row heels but its all personal preference. Love me some fancy hand dyed speckled merino nylon but you can’t beat German sock yarn of the Opal/Regia variety. You can machine wash them and they last for years. Unless you get snagged by a bloody nail of course.

This is a good vanilla sock pattern Ravelry: How I Make My Socks pattern by Susan B. Anderson

1 Like

Putting these three pieces on the same needle now :grin::grin::grin:

6 Likes

Omg you guys it’s really coming together. Can’t wait to show you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Made this babe for M’s cousin.

9 Likes

Omg i love it. What a cutie

1 Like

I don’t want to post it, but similarly I don’t want to make another. That said it wasn’t as fiddly as most toys I’ve made.

Hah I’ve had that with gifts I’ve made too.

Post it and tell yourself you can make another at some unspecified point in the future if you still want one.

Did you ever find that one of M’s that got lost on a walk?

Hilda! Yes. The cat had buried it under his blankets in his cat tower that he never uses! What a little douchbag he is, he’s never done anything like that before. M must have been really annoying him that day.

2 Likes

Oh good! Glad she turned up. And err, glad the cat is getting some use from her as well?

1 Like

Ha! Not humping, he’s utterly asexual. Just a jealous rage I think

Haha i didn’t mean that, just that he’s developed a secondary use for it as a means of revenge!

1 Like

You’re a one woman Hamleys, Scout, bloody hell.

5 Likes

I actually really don’t like making toys but I feel like it’s all good technique practice and now M absolutely adores anything I’ve hand made and I know she won’t feel like that for long, so might as well keep at it for now.

2 Likes

I’m not as fast at crochet as Scout apparently

I think this is about half way through now

3 Likes

I cannot get a good photo of this

This is a purple to black gradient yarn. It’s a scarf for my friend (knitted at a steep angle). The colour is gorgeous and I’m going to want to keep it for myself.

4 Likes

Look at my new sock that I just finished :star_struck::rabbit:

7 Likes

This was also my very first German short rows heel, and I’m a big fan of it!

If anyone wants a really good and clear video tutorial for this heel technique I can post the one I used.

7 Likes

You are so good at this! So impressive

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I do follow detailed instructions, and in this case I knitted almost a full sock before realising I needed to start over… There’s always a lot of trial and error involved, which is how I learn!

1 Like

I’m quite jealous of people who can wear wool, as I’d like to knit socks. I have had a go but they don’t really work in 100% cotton, most non-woollen sock yarns sound like they’re designed to give you sweaty feet, eg 100% synthetic, and the one cotton/elastane blend I’ve found is £20/100g, which is more than I’m prepared to spend on socks.

1 Like