Knitting 🧶 (also crocheting and etc)

Another doll :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

And another

6 Likes

Getting some Pippi Longstocking vibes from that one!

1 Like

Her wonky skirt is annoying me but M won’t care and she’s insisting on a huge extended family of them so they’re only going to get worse quality-wise from now on

1 Like

Mates, I am knitting a dress. It’s a bit slow as the yarn is fairly thin (I’m on 3mm needles though so not ULTRA thin) and I am tall so it has to be relatively long. I’m on anout hip level atm, just started gradually taking it in for the waistline.

This is the pattern, as you can see the actual shape of the dress is very simple:

Using very different colours though:

Very excited to see what the colourwork will look like with the rainbow yarn! I did a little swatching in the round but I think it needs some space to really make the most of the colours.

7 Likes

Another major difference here is my body shaped compred to the model, so that’s only really the vaguest idea of what my dress will look like :sweat_smile:

I was thinking about making a dress out of a big ball of gradient yarn. I saw a rainbow one someone else had made on ravelry and it looked cool.

1 Like

As a dress wearer I have found some really nice looking dress patterns on instagram. Definitely need some smaller projects (ie socks, baby/toddler knits etc) to do in between larger things though!

1 Like

Just a hot tip that this very cool knit design account are having a 20% sale on all their patterns. I’ve just bought 4 of them :sunglasses:

https://instagram.com/poisongrrls

Goddamn it I will have to look at embedding settings tomorrow :upside_down_face:

Dress progress. At the waist now

6 Likes

That is thin wool! I’d have managed about two rows in the same time :joy:

Does anyone here do «English» knitting, ie. holding the working yarn in your right hand?

I didn’t know this technique existed until fairly recently, so I have no idea if it’s actually more common in the UK or if it’s just a name.

1 Like

Yes I do, and it seems so inefficient compared to the continental style but its the way I learned. If I take up knitting again I’m going to learn continental.

That’s the thing that’s struck me when I’ve seen videos of it, seems so inefficient to me!

Oh and something else I wanted to mention to you, cause I remember you saying your hands get sore and that: I’ve not tried them myself, but have heard people say that these needles are better for their hands:

Might be worth a try?

1 Like

It’s how I learned.

For knit stitches, I generally use continental except when I need more accuracy, like at the start or end of a row sometimes or doing decreases, because with continental I find it’s easier for the working yarn to slip off the needle if you change the angle, eg to go through 2 stitches.

For purl I use English almost exclusively as I’ve never got on well with holding the yarn in the left hand for purl. When I’ve tried it I got the feeling it might work better with animal wool due to the elasticity but the yarns I use typically have almost none.

My opinion is that continental is easier on the hands and a bit quicker but gives you less control for anything fiddly.

1 Like

Oh just to add as well that when knitting english style I tend to wedge the right needle under my arm a bit so I’m not really doing much with the right hand other than throwing the yarn, so it’s not quite as inefficient as it might seem to a continental knitter learning the style. Obviously that falls down when using circular needles.

1 Like

Yep, I do English. I’ve read that continental would be much quicker especially for switching between knit and purl and I wish I’d made myself learn it before doing a whole scarf in moss stitch.

But I couldn’t persuade my hands to do it!

1 Like

I knit English because erm…continental wasn’t really known in England until very recently, same goes for knitting with circular needles which are still not stocked by most high street yarn shops.

I kind of flick more than throw as my right hand never leaves the needle. I purl and knit at about the same pace whereas it seems to be generally accepted that purling is slower continental and I know lots of continental knitters who avoid purling altogether. So I think it all comes out in the wash. Also, there’s something important to me in knitting the same way as my mother and grandmother. BUT I have taught myself to use both hands for stranded colourwork so I hold the dominant in my left and pick and flick the background with my right. I am getting better and more consistent with practice.

The lumpiness will block out when it has a bath. I hope.

3 Likes

Fascinating stuff, honestly. Like I said, I never knew about English knitting until very recently! And I’m sure that both/all techniques have their pros and cons, in the end it’s just what you’re used to and what works for you. And I definitely hear your on the ancestral stuff, I love taking part in a long-standing tradition like this!

Your colourful yoke looks amazing btw.