KOOL THINGS The Sonic Youth Listening Club. FINAL THOUGHTS start at post 2431

:grinning: perfect

1 Like

Intro - Very pretty, classic Sonic Youth from the off

Brave Men Run - I bloodly love the euphoric intro to this one. It gets stuck in my head every time I hear it, it’s like a little burst of positivity that makes me want to punch the air. When the track settles in we’re back in a familiar sound from CiS, but just better. The word ‘bubbling’ keeps entering my head listening to early SY.

Society Is A Hole - a dirge in the best way possible. Like something primordial crawls out of a swamp. Thurston’s moaning vocal adds to the oozing mess that mutates into a Stooges sample for the second album in a row.

I Love Her All The Time - Wish this one would emerge a bit sooner from the squall. More of those stretched out, elongated vocals, I think they’re a great compliment to the music without being “good” vocals if that makes sense. There’s a bit too much filler here, if they’d lost some of the instrumental bit in the middle I think it would be a lot stronger, or more to my tastes anyway.

Ghost Bitch - @midnightpunk is right, heavy Slayer energy from the start of this, very evil distortion.

I’m Insane - Love the bass on this, constantly prowling. This feels like ILHATT and Ghost Bitch with a bit more work to flesh them out more.

Justice Is Might - Just a bit of texture, not much else to my ears

Death Valley '69 - Utterly pumelling from the first second. The bass is massive on this, like a violent giant swinging punches in every direction when it lets loose. The twin vocals work so well together. Lunch sounds so tortured, her voice demands attention.

Satan Is Boring - And so is this track

Halloween - The guitars sound like a slowed down Shoot from Dirty and there’s that bubbly, oozing malevolence back again. Like a constant low level threat ready to burst into life at any moment. The drums build nicely and bring everything else along with them. In 2023 I can’t help but check my computer when the gongs start around 3:30, always think someone is calling me on Teams.

Flower - Great vocals from Kim here, big drums propelling everything along.

Overall, plenty of good things, plenty of growth but a bit too much aimless wandering to be a great album in my eyes.

7 Likes

Ghost Bitch and I’m Insane is an incredible 1 2, feels like they could both go on forever

4 Likes

god this album fucking rules

4 Likes

Never heard this album before, it’s amazing. Love how loose and sinister it is, found it so much more engaging than the last one. I’m Insane the highlight for me, but the whole album is great and I’m glad the consensus is leaning that way (hadn’t really checked in with this thread since Scagden’s savaging up there).

2 Likes

apologies for the delay, ive got a nasty chest infection so i’m literally dying here. GWS in the chat.

i’ve only listened to the original album so far (ending at DV69 (nice)) but i will allow you to vote for all the tracks on the spotify version as i am a kind and benevolent overlord.

favourite track on Bad Moon Rising

• Intro
  • Brave Men Run (In My Family)
  • Society is a Hole
  • I Love Her All the Time
  • Ghost Bitch
  • I’m Insane
  • Justice is Might
  • Death Valley 69
  • Satan is Boring
  • Halloween
  • Flower
  • Echo Canyon

0 voters

score out of 10

0 voters

GWS AV!!!

I enjoyed this one but I don’t know what my fave track was yet. hmm…

1 Like

DV69 seems like such an obvious choice i almost didn’t want to go for it but it does absolutely fuck

11 Likes

The way the twin vocals almost swirl around each other is masterful and fairly disorienting, and good stuff for something that was probably recorded in a leaky warehouse

2 Likes

I think it can be justified as the hipster choice because so much of the appeal comes from how much of a crescendo it is from the simmering darkness of what led up to it

2 Likes

i think i’d go for I’m Insane if the noise sections at the start and end were trimmed down a bit - just to be a contrarian :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll be honest I’m entirely feeling the same. I don’t want to just be ‘that guy’ so I need to listen again to confirm really.

But right now I’m listening to the Ex Eye album again and getting sad they’ve still never done a sequel.

1 Like

this rings a bell but i’m too poorly for google. talk to me papa theo x

1 Like

All instrumental

Lots of big sax over long heavy drums/bass stuff.

1 Like

i really like the way the noise sections on it loop and overlap and stuff, really nice. and for it to then turn into a proper song for a minute! and then more noise! you should vote for it man

fuck it

1 Like

oh i thought you were saying it was related to this!

Oh no, sorry. I just meant I need to finish listening to it before I can put SY on again. I guess I could play them both at the same time. I’m sure SY would approve of that, TBH.

1 Like

ooooh

It’s Colin stetson and Greg Fox. It’s ace

2 Likes