KOOL THINGS The Sonic Youth Listening Club. FINAL THOUGHTS start at post 2431

we’re going to listen to loads and loads of sonic youth and we’re going to have a really nice time doing it ok?? we’ll have a new record to listen to every monday, feel free to not listen to all of them of course, because ive decided to go full sicko mode and listen to all the weird stuff too. i think it’ll be fun to contextualise the more conventional stuff theyre doing around the same time with all the noisy arty stuff. i know this isnt going to be everyones cup of tea tho so i’ll keep the thread title up to date with where we are each week too.

we’ll start off next week, register your interest HERE or dont it makes no difference to me tbh. but you’re not allowed to get matching KOOL THING tattoos with the rest of us when we finish in 6 months time if youve not listened to everything

HERE IS THE FULL LIST with the ~proper albums~ highlighted for the fairweather fans and jump links to where we start chatting about them in the thread:

20 Likes

WashINg MachINe!

(We just not doing The Eternal? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

This post paid for by PROF$.

Already excited for everyone to hear the Whitey Album.

2 Likes

macbeth
MACBETH
MACBETH
MACBETH

oh i don’t know how that got lost :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve somehow never heard Hidros 3 so I’m excited to listen to that.

Demonlover is up there with Made In USA as Sonic Youth albums that are totally nebulous and probably don’t exist for me.

1 Like

i’m going to be posting spotify links for each (except the mysterious youtube only one), if you want links to other streaming services you’re going to have to sort yourselves out tbh

1 Like

In for all the albums, might dabble in the weird shit

2 Likes

My favourite band from 2000-2009, nothing even came close. I think I burnt myself out on them at that point as I rarely listen to them these days. Still, a fantastic band, and I’ve got a bit of a blind spot for Thousand Leaves and NYC G&F, hopefully I can turn my opinion round on those.

1 Like

sorry I meant Bad Moon RisINg

1 Like

In for all the weird shit, might dabble in the albums

1 Like

I am going to dip in and out. Try and listen to later stuff I haven’t heard, but want to at least reiterate that Daydream Nation is, has always been and will always be a solid 10/10 LP.

1 Like

I like Daydream Nation, Goo etc but almost wish we could skip ahead to the SYR stuff.

3 Likes

will try and listen along, always liked what i’ve heard, but not ventured much outside that 88-92 run

In, by which I mean that I’ll do it for a few weeks, then get behind, then give up. Like every other listening club I’ve done on here (apart from Mogwai).

2 Likes

looking forward to telling everyone how underrated The Eternal is about a year from now

9 Likes

Will try be involved, need to dig out my mp3s

1 Like

Think I’m only missing physical versions of seven releases on that list. Spinhead Sessions, Master-Dik, SYR2, SYR3, Demonlover OST, Hidros 3 and In/Out/In.

Will make it my business to pick those up over the next few months now.

6 Likes

That’s 32 weeks / 8 months by my count!

1 Like

We skipping SYR 5 & 6 as they count as Kim solo and live album respectively?

Am in.