Labour Party Thread: Things Can Only Get Worse (Part 1)

Just burnt my lunch because of this thread.

Fucking starmer :grinning::grinning::grinning:

13 Likes

Yeah possibly so. I can’t really put myself in the mind of a Brexiteer at the best of times.

I think this is right (although I think the collapse of the LibDems and the rise of UKIP are two separate electoral things).

I don’t think that this motivation it quite correct though, or at least, it was able to be true only because Labour were able to make the 2017 general election a vote on issues other than Brexit, despite the Tories and the press wanting it to be so. In part this because of the pledge to honour the EU referendum, but it was also the rest of the campaign and manifesto.

That wasn’t able to be repeated in 2019.

EDIT: this has been covered upthread

1 Like

Yep agree 100%. Just happened at roughly the same time.

Also quite prepared to accept your other point is definitely plausible.

Except that was a GE too.

I mean I’m cool with your point being that you reckon this cohort of voters know it’s financially better to put the Tories in power for a by election.

Would have been quicker for you to say that rather than go off with the big potatoes look though :grinning:

I think that also a sizeable chunk of voters aren’t necessarily pro-Brexit or anti-EU, they just want the whole process wrapped up and out of their headspace.

Given the messages being put out by the parties and by the press, only one party is seen as offering that at the moment.

safebruv is in the pocket of Big Potato.

1 Like

Look at Charlie mega spuds going off

???

Yeah, note how you didn’t explain anything just stated how you knew?

Also I wouldn’t say Labour have lost the demographic if we’re talking money, because they can’t actually get it back regardless.

The impact of the Chesham & Amersham by election is still being felt…

I posted the 2017 result next post

By the way 2017 is the highest percentage share labour have had in this seat ever if you disregard the uncontested bi election in 2016

Labour on a less housing ticket. Brilliant

1 Like

It’s a bad policy, but I guess they think it’s good politics, as no other national party is making the case for more housing or social housing, so their young base have nowhere else to go.

What will probably happen is there’ll be a vague mention of brownfield land and quoting of (debunked) figures put together by the CPRE, but no one will publicly acknowledge that it won’t address the issue.

Saw 50 new posts in the Labour thread in the last few hours and got excited that Starmer had quit or something…

4 Likes

sharing this from jeremy gilbert, on the labour party. i really like the way that he explains things, and generally agree with what he says.

2 Likes

given that I’m 100% sure the tories will win the next election and have at least a workable majority, the only real interest is to see exactly how badly labour fuck up due to this assumption

They’ll just stay home, and vote for no one, while being blamed by the party for letting in the Tories.

Tbf in 2019 their main policy on planning was “to put the voices of local people at the heart”, which is essentially the same as this tweet.

(Aside from promises on social housing, they’re generally quite weak on housing imo)

this is interesting

1 Like

Can we get Tim Shipman’s take on this?