Lana Del Rey 2021

Looking forward to hearing this but the Stereogum rave review was cringey as hell

I listened to Fuck It I Love You assuming it was a cover too, but it wasn’t.

I bet Malky will go and do a cover of her song now.

Lana’s previous album was called Lust for Life! Had a title track, plus other non-covers called Style, All Star and Bullet With Butterfly Wings

2 Likes

Oh right, just her thing, eh?

2 Likes

Billboards like it everywhere so I’m glad I know what NFR means now
I really hope that’s not a Neil Young cover

None of them are - seems she likes to name her tracks the same as well known tracks to fuck with people.

The Replacements called their best album Let it Be.

1 Like

psh

this is now the best Replacements record thread

1 Like

Not saying she’s the only one who’s ever done it.

is that Norman Rockwell on the cover?

lol @ bullet with butterfly wings

1 Like

this is giving me major Sublime nostalgia pangs. love how baffling that chorus is going to be for unfamiliar LDR fans. actually really enjoying this blissed out version

This sounds really great on a good pair of speakers, the production on ‘Venice Bitch’ in particular is amazing, actually reminds me of Pink Floyd

2 Likes

PF have given it a 9.4 !!

2 Likes

Pitch4k’s original tin-eared 5.5 for the debut still rankles. Each of their reviews for every album has been better than the one previous and I sense they’ve been coming around to the fact that they’d dropped a bollock all those years ago, as slowly but surely she’s become the most influential female artist of the decade without their permission.

2 Likes

I’m sure I read somewhere it is Jack Nicholson’s grandson.

Never really got into Lana before but been really enjoying this over the weekend. Is it worth going back to her first records or are there specific peaks I should try?

Ultraviolence has always been my favourite so far. Only just got internet back up at home will have a listen to the new one tonight.

2 Likes

I think when Born to Die came out the media had started to turn on her (culminating in the absurdly OTT vitriol to her SNL performance) and Pitchfork panned the album safe in the knowledge she’d be forgotten in a few months. And then she wasn’t. In fairness to them, they weren’t the only ones to do this with Born to Die I think and Pitchfork now is very different to even how it was back in 2012.

1 Like